Oklahoma - Circle in the Square Theatre

This topic is 1666 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Saw this again last night. I wanted to revisit it on an inexpensive TDF ticket.

I still dislike it, perhaps even more so: I felt that no one in the show was capable of singing this music in the style it's presented except for the singularly-enjoyable Ali Stroker.

The band was talented, but the score was ruined for me due to the wildly changed orchestrations.

The set looked like a bingo hall and Home Depot had an illegitimate child.

The Dream Ballet was a hot mess. Someone trying too hard to make a statement.

The blackouts. The video. The cornbread and chili. All unnecessary. Community/university theatre moves, imo.

This whole show was directed for young people who would immediately post on social media that they 'were shook' after seeing it. This should have stayed at St Ann's where it's more suited, as it's really not a Broadway caliber show.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually (I haven't seen the show, but even so) I think the chili and cornbread is a fun idea. Much like the recent Sweeney Todd set in a pieshop (and other productions of that show that have served meatpies at concessions). I figure, if you're going to serve food and drinks, it's fun to have them be something related to the show.

I was just talking to a fellow musical director who saw the show earlier this week. He didn't have a lot of positive things to say, though he did like the orchestrations. And although he thought Stroker nailed her songs, he felt she had no acting range (and couldn't tell if that was her or how she was directed).

I'm interested in seeing it for myself, but I dunno...

• 4 months later...

Closing notice...

Jan. 19.

Has anyone on this list seen the off-Broadway production of Fiddler?

A Dark ‘Oklahoma!’ and a Yiddish ‘Fiddler’ to Close in January

The inventive revivals offered new ways to experience cherished classics of the musical theater canon.

Two boldly reimagined revivals of beloved American musicals — a blood-soaked and bluegrass-tinged “Oklahoma!” and a “Fiddler on the Roof” performed entirely in Yiddish — will end their acclaimed runs in January.

The “Oklahoma!” production, now at Broadway’s Circle in the Square Theater, won this year’s Tony Award for best musical revival, and also won a Tony for Ali Stroker, the actress playing Ado Annie, who became the first performer using a wheelchair to take theater’s top prize. It will close Jan. 19.

“Fiddler” is an Off Broadway production, now running at Stage 42. It will close Jan. 5.

Both productions were praised by critics for offering new ways to see, hear and feel two of the most cherished works of the musical theater canon. The “Oklahoma!” revival emphasizes the violence and danger of an American frontier community, while the authenticity of the “Fiddler” revival reinforces its poignancy.

The productions were both successful in many ways, with humble beginnings that led to extended runs. Neither has yet become a financial success, but each production said it is hoping to recoup its capitalization costs through touring productions.

“Oklahoma!,” directed by the avant-garde innovator Daniel Fish, had a first professional production in 2015 at Bard College’s SummerScape festival, and then last year had a successful Off Broadway run at St. Ann’s Warehouse in Brooklyn before beginning performances in March on Broadway, where the lead producer is Eva Price.

Its box office grosses have fluctuated, peaking at $651,744 during the week ending April 28; the show grossed $473,275 during the week that ended Oct. 20. Thus far it has been seen by 151,782 people and has grossed a total of $16.5 million, according to the Broadway League.

“There’s a long future still ahead for Daniel Fish’s groundbreaking production,” said Ms. Price, who cited a 45-week tour that is scheduled to begin in Oklahoma City next fall, as well as “other international productions, currently in the planning stages.”

The Broadway production and the tour were jointly capitalized for $8.5 million, Ms. Price said.

The production has not publicized a closing announcement, but has been advertising Jan. 19 as its final performance, and Ms. Price confirmed her intention to end the Broadway run at that point. The production was initially announced as a limited engagement through Sept. 1 and was then extended.

My husband and I go to New York once or twice a year and binge on Broadway productions. What we miss in New York eventually comes to Houston, where we live, so we see a lot of Broadway shows.

Anyway, on our most recent NYC trip (last month), we saw "Oklahoma!" and for me, it tied with "To Kill a Mockingbird" as favorites for this binge. I've played in community-theatre versions of "Oklahoma!" three times and have been an audience member for many others and have of course seen the movie a few times. I have to say, for the first time ever, I actually HEARD the music. Stripped down to its essence with just the small orchestra and the pure, raw voices, I appreciated every lyric. It was an emotional experience. I also liked the minimalist staging and the town-hall or barn feeling of the whole thing, able to see the other audience members and feeling as if we were a part of the story. At the production we saw, chili and cornbread were served at intermission. I thought that was a cute touch. I will say that the dream sequence (ballet) was too long. If and when this show tours and comes to Houston, I'll see it again.