GIVE ME A BREAK...

samhexum
This topic is 1908 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Conservative moms draft petition to ban a Kit Kat commercial

Nearly 8,500 followers of a conservative protest group calling itself One Million Moms has launched a petition attacking Kit Kat chocolate’s “tasteless” new ad.

The 15-second commercial is set to the Missy Elliott song “Work It” and includes a line where a reference to the male anatomy is replaced with the sound of an elephant blowing its trunk. That’s a little more than the members of One Million Moms want their kids experiencing.

“This song is about sex, and the lyrics are extremely offensive,” according to the petition launched Tuesday. "The song includes a word for male genitalia that is bleeped out by an elephant trumpet: ‘If ya got a big (phrrrrr), let me search it.’”

The petition argues the focus of the ad is its sexual message and not the chocolate bar.

“Not once is KIT KAT audibly mentioned during their irresponsible commercial,” the call to arms reads.

The ad shows the Kit Kat logo along with the words “Breaks are good. Have one.”

One Million Moms "current campaigns” page leads readers to commercials for Cottonelle toiletries and Walmart stores, which the group accused of promoting homosexual lifestyles. The latter ad, which they says shows two men on a date, got more than 17,000 signatures.

Nestle’s, which owns Kit Kat, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

I am posting this dance routine performed to the music of "Work It." Let me also point out the dancer (Gong Minzy, at the time a member of girl group 2NE1) was 17 at the time, this took place in South Korea, and no one batted an eye.

Hiphop is the most popular genre of music in the US. Missy Elliott's "Work It" is a classic from the 90s. Hiphop's going to get used in ads. Those who don't like hiphop will need to reconcile themselves to that.