411 Another Andrew in NYC

EVdude
This topic is 1753 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

One early evening a couple of weeks ago, I happened to arrive 20 minutes early for a scheduled appointment with a masseur that I had met with previously. The hissy fit that this masseur pulled on me was one for the books. He was so irate that he told me to leave since he could not ma#ssage someone who made him so upset. Meanwhile, I'm never early for anything but happened to make good connections with the trains that night and was early. All he had to do was ask me to wait outside or return in 20 minutes. Well, he's off my list for good! Since I was still in the mood for a massage, I logged into masseurfinder and this Andrew had "available now" showing, so I called him. He seemed nice enough but tells me that he stays dressed during the message and my impression was no sensuality would be involved. Then after further discussion, he says he'll do a naked message but it will cost me $50 extra. "Thanks but no thanks" was my response to him. Then he tells me that he had planned on going to the gym that night anyway. So much for his availability. I wound up visiting one of my regulars that night and it was time well spent.

I logged into masseurfinder and this Andrew had "available now" showing, so I called him. ........ Then he tells me that he had planned on going to the gym that night anyway. So much for his availability. I wound up visiting one of my regulars that night and it was time well spent.
Thanks... I’m a “need now or soon” kinda guy. Irks me when a masseur says he is not at all available when his ad says to the contrary. Worse yet is when a masseur tries to negotiate his availability. Has happened more than a few times. Cute as this Andrew is, I don’t think I’ll be taking the plunge without more info.

I happened to arrive 20 minutes early for a scheduled appointment with a masseur

Take it from someone experienced in the spa business, never show up early for an appointment. Do not call to announce that you are early.

It's not so much a problem for someone working in a spa, there's typically a waiting area for customers. If you're dealing with someone who works privately, showing up early will most likely throw a wrench into the entire zen operation. Depending how a masseur books, these guys need down time in between appointments and that down time can vary. It's an energy thing that most lay folk don't understand. Also, it can take some customers a long time to get off the table. Not everyone exits at the same speed. It's very difficult to ask someone who has just had a massage to hurry up, and it's not easy to schedule these unknown minutes. Many masseurs grab a quick bite to eat between appointments to feed their energy. The last thing they want is their eating time interrupted.

The guy was flat out wrong to treat you the way he did. There is no excuse for that. He would have been fired under my watch. When a guy works for himself, his diva-ness can take over, and his customer service skills can be thrown out the window. If you wish to stay on the good side of a masseur, especially one working out of his home, never show up early for your appointment (unless the masseur says to call if you do).

Take it from someone experienced in the spa business, never show up early for an appointment. Do not call to announce that you are early.

It's not so much a problem for someone working in a spa, there's typically a waiting area for customers. If you're dealing with someone who works privately, showing up early will most likely throw a wrench into the entire zen operation. Depending how a masseur books, these guys need down time in between appointments and that down time can vary. It's an energy thing that most lay folk don't understand. Also, it can take some customers a long time to get off the table. Not everyone exits at the same speed. It's very difficult to ask someone who has just had a massage to hurry up, and it's not easy to schedule these unknown minutes. Many masseurs grab a quick bite to eat between appointments to feed their energy. The last thing they want is their eating time interrupted.

The guy was flat out wrong to treat you the way he did. There is no excuse for that. He would have been fired under my watch. When a guy works for himself, his diva-ness can take over, and his customer service skills can be thrown out the window. If you wish to stay on the good side of a masseur, especially one working out of his home, never show up early for your appointment (unless the masseur says to call if you do).

"Depending how a masseur (massage therapist) books" says it all. I am always ready and prepared for my client 15 minutes prior to the massage and I encourage my clients to arrive a few minutes early so we can start on time.

If the massage therapist has still someone on his massage table 20 minutes before his next client and there is no waiting area then the massage therapist absolutely failed in his scheduling or greed has taken over.

You make some very interesting points here Roger. It only would have taken one of these reasons and I would have understood. I have learned a lesson from this but as you've said, no need to treat me like a worthless piece of shit. I guess he doesn't need my business and I will take it elsewhere.

I am always ready and prepared for my client 15 minutes prior to the massage and I encourage my clients to arrive a few minutes early so we can start on time.

Sounds very professional to me.

"A few minutes early" is not 20 minutes in most therapist's mind. Also, does your watch match the masseur's? Timing for individual taste and preference is always a juggling act, especially in a professional spa. The nice thing about a spa, management sets the parameters. If a masseur does not like those, he can go work elsewhere.

When a masseur works on his own, he is free to book as he wishes. And his business lives or dies by that process. There is no management dictating parameters. Masseurs are not robots. Each has his own way of doing things. Each has his own needs and preferences. Greed may be one factor. But I can think of many other factors why a masseur would not be perfect at scheduling.

M4M massage is deeply important to me, so I try to treat massage appointments as professionally as possible. Showing up early to a masseur's private residence is not respectful. I usually arrive early to avoid being late, but I don't text that I've arrived until the agreed-upon time.

Exactly. Sometimes a masseur has a client run late & kindly gives the client the full time, en though that eats into the masseur’s free time between clients. Nothing is worse than a masseur being rushed to finish a massage because of the next client’s arriving early. It is very helpful for a masseur to have a little time between clients just to set up again, freshen up, recharge, get sometime to drink go to the bathroom!

I encourage my clients to arrive a few minutes early so we can start on time.

I can't speak for every location, but in New York City, when a masseur is working out of his home, he has to consider a lot of factors. Where is the customer coming from? How is the customer getting to the masseur? If the customer is driving, car traffic and parking are going to be an issue. If he's using public transportation, all sorts of things can and will go wrong. How challenging is finding my apartment? Do I have to go downstairs to meet the customer and bring him up?

If the massage therapist books back-to-back appointments, he has two choices. Either he front loads his customers (early) or he back loads them (allowing for lateness). You can only do both successfully if you're willing to limit the number of people you see in one day.

If the therapist encourages clients to come a little early, and someone can't get there on time, it could have a domino effect on the rest of the day's bookings. All it takes is one late client to destroy the "come a little early" process.

If most of your customers come from outside your neighborhood and you allow a little time for everyone to arrive late, then you can't accommodate early arrivals. You never want to find yourself with two customers in your space at the same time. Privacy, privacy, privacy.

It's very difficult for a massage therapist to accommodate all events that are out of his control. But a true professional will try his best and settle on a preferred process. It's very nice when a masseur states that process in his ad.

Masseurs who work in private spaces also have to consider bathroom time. Some customers need to pee and wash their hands, 3 minutes. Or they have to poop, which can take up to 15 min. Some want to take a shower before and after, 15 min each. No two clients are the same, so the massage therapist has to juggle all these needs.

Thankfully, many massage therapists know how they like to work, especially if they are experienced. There's a well known guy who states in his ad that he will only see 2 people a day. It's pretty safe to assume that he's good on the front and the back, regarding time.

Edited by rogerG

I like to be early to everything because of subway delays, and other things out of my control. I am in Manhattan as well. Most masseurs here want you there on time only. Even when I text 10 minutes early, I usually get, "hold on, I am not ready," so now I just text at the precise time. For outcalls, I am on the UES, almost no one ever comes on time.