John Travolta as Edna Turnblad

Lookin
This topic is 6301 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

More 'Hairspray' news from this week's 15 Minutes...

You can also check out the official musical-film website, with some musical excerpts from Queen Latifah (as 'Motormouth Maybelle'). It takes a bit to load up, but the pics of Michelle Pfeiffer are worth the wait time alone. She's looking good at 48.

http://www.Hairspraymovie.com

BN

• 3 weeks later...

Can't wait to see this! Projecting a nuanced character through all that gear can’t be easy. He sure LOOKS like he’s having fun! I guess that's what good acting is about.

http://images.usatoday.com/life/_photos/2006/10/30/travolta-turnblad.jpg

"That prosthetic and that fat suit is very hot and uncomfortable, so I can't honestly say I'm having fun," says John. Still, despite the four-hour commitment in the chair to make his transformation, John says he's thrilled with the effect it's having on those around him.

"I can say I'm having fun with the effect I'm causing on [others]," he says, and make no mistake -- his character is a woman, not a man dressed as a woman as a gag.

"I think if you think of 'Tootsie,' or if you think of 'Mrs. Doubtfire' or if you think of 'Big Momma's House,' there are clearly men in drag to create a certain effect," he explains. "This is different in the way I'm approaching it, where I don't want you to ever think that there's a man in [that suit] ... I think I'm really trying to instead convince you that I'm a woman -- this Baltimore, blue-collared woman."

Of course, the former 'Grease' and 'Saturday Night Fever' star gets to sing and shake his "moneymaker" for the first time in years, and he's loving every minute of it!

Archived