Military Brat

Avalon
This topic is 1987 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

On the radio someone was saying that "military brat" only refers to the children of officers and not to those of the enlisted.

I know there are some here of a military background; maybe they can confirm that?

I disagree. It refers to children of those serving in the military, usually refering to how they get shuffled around from base to base. My father was a mustang, so by the definition provided on the radio I would have been considered a military brat only when he was commissioned? Nope.

I'm a military brat, but not from an officer. I've always seen it used as the child of a member of the military, regardless of the sponsor's rank. To be a "real" military brat, you need to have moved around as your family was moved from one base to another, have a dependent ID card, and have have some basic idea of how the military works. I've experienced it consistently used that way over a variety of military bases.