Stan Lee Has Died

Avalon
This topic is 2022 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stan_Lee

I just heard that on the radio

The man was a legend. Created a whole universe of heroes, most of whom showcased values we can all identify with: with great power comes great responsibility, the able should protect those that are unable, if you get knocked down get up and try again, be proud of who you are, anyone can be a hero, accept your flaws and use them to your advantage and most of all; remain true to yourself.

It's a bittersweet moment: he's gone, but he left behind a beautiful legacy, he's now reunited with his wife, and he's no longer suffering and experiencing so much beauty and joy.

Just a reminder that Stan Lee wasn't just a comic book artist: he was a revolutionary story teller who used the struggles of the X-Men and Black Panther and the Avengers as metaphors for standing against homophobia, xenophobia, and racism. You have Captain America, a hero created by two Jewish writers, you have the X-Men being hunted down, registered, and disowned for being born a mutant (a correlation to the struggles of the LGBT) and street heroes like Luke Cage and Iron Fist who showed the daily injustices of racism from police and the rich and normal civilians.

Stan Lee would point out that a little bit of courage, anyone can be an Avenger. For someone who is willing to stand against an abuser can be as tough as Jessica Jones. And love and family is what gives the X-Men strength to carry on and face a five-hundred foot killer Sentinel (or two).

I think Captain America's movies said it best: we shouldn't be a good soldier. We should be good men and women.

And we can do it all day.

R.I.P.

Just a reminder that Stan Lee wasn't just a comic book artist: he was a revolutionary story teller

Not really an "artist" except perhaps in the broadest sense wherein a writer is considered an artist. Jack Kirby and others did the artwork (and some of the writing as well.) It has been suggested over the years, in fact, that he received much more of the credit for the creation of these characters that was due him. Not sure myself, as this may have been sour grapes, but I do love the man's comics (and have several boxes of them gathering dust in my basement).

POLITICALLY INCORRECT

Bill Maher Wrote a Bad Blog About Stan Lee

“I don’t think it’s a huge stretch to suggest that Donald Trump could only get elected in a country that thinks comic books are important,” said Maher.

by

NOVEMBER 17, 2018 1:11 PM

bill-maher.jpg

By Phillip Faraone/Getty Images

Like many celebrities and laypeople, Bill Maher took a moment this week to reflect on the life and legacy of Marvel comics mastermind Stan Lee—who died Monday at the age of 95. But unlike the bulk of those tributes, what Maher wrote wasn’t particularly complimentary.

The late-night personality composed a dismissive blog post about Lee, the beloved co-creator of comic book characters including Spider-Man and the X-Men. Maher took offense at the huge outpouring of mourning over Lee, chiding grown-ups for celebrating the man: “I have nothing against comic books – I read them now and then when I was a kid and I was all out of Hardy Boys,” he wrote. “But the assumption everyone had back then, both the adults and the kids, was that comics were for kids, and when you grew up you moved on to big-boy books without the pictures.”

Maher went on to blame comic books for the dumbing-down of American culture, concluding that they’re somehow responsible for the election of Donald Trump: “I don’t think it’s a huge stretch to suggest that Donald Trump could only get elected in a country that thinks comic books are important.” Maher failed to acknowledge the good work Lee did, including his advocacy for diverse characters in fiction and founding a foundation to expand access to literary resources.

POLITICALLY INCORRECT

Bill Maher Wrote a Bad Blog About Stan Lee

“I don’t think it’s a huge stretch to suggest that Donald Trump could only get elected in a country that thinks comic books are important,” said Maher.

by

NOVEMBER 17, 2018 1:11 PM

bill-maher.jpg

By Phillip Faraone/Getty Images

Like many celebrities and laypeople, Bill Maher took a moment this week to reflect on the life and legacy of Marvel comics mastermind Stan Lee—who died Monday at the age of 95. But unlike the bulk of those tributes, what Maher wrote wasn’t particularly complimentary.

The late-night personality composed a dismissive blog post about Lee, the beloved co-creator of comic book characters including Spider-Man and the X-Men. Maher took offense at the huge outpouring of mourning over Lee, chiding grown-ups for celebrating the man: “I have nothing against comic books – I read them now and then when I was a kid and I was all out of Hardy Boys,” he wrote. “But the assumption everyone had back then, both the adults and the kids, was that comics were for kids, and when you grew up you moved on to big-boy books without the pictures.”

Maher went on to blame comic books for the dumbing-down of American culture, concluding that they’re somehow responsible for the election of Donald Trump: “I don’t think it’s a huge stretch to suggest that Donald Trump could only get elected in a country that thinks comic books are important.” Maher failed to acknowledge the good work Lee did, including his advocacy for diverse characters in fiction and founding a foundation to expand access to literary resources.

Maher is trying too hard; he's taking an alternative point of view and puffing it up to an absurd level, and then making this absurd stretch to the rise of Trump. It reads like a debate class assignment.

Not really an "artist" except perhaps in the broadest sense wherein a writer is considered an artist. Jack Kirby and others did the artwork (and some of the writing as well.) It has been suggested over the years, in fact, that he received much more of the credit for the creation of these characters that was due him. Not sure myself, as this may have been sour grapes, but I do love the man's comics (and have several boxes of them gathering dust in my basement).

In the early '70s Marvel put out some compilation paperbacks ("Origins of Marvel Comics," "Son of Origins of Marvel Comics"...) which included Lee's droll commentary about how these comics came to be, and who contributed. In those days, he was quite generous with credit, stating outright that Jack Kirby or Steve Ditko designed major and minor characters with no guidance while contributing to story ideas, personalities, and character development. Some writers were given (or assigned) free reign to create books from Issue #1, and Lee lauded them with praise. When these people pushed back regarding rights or formal credit Lee's recollection changed to something much more collaborative. As the comic book industry developed a lot of its founding employees learned the hard way about intellectual property rights -- something they had not considered when they got started.

Edited by Nvr2Thick