A Question For Australians

Avalon
This topic is 2054 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

On the Australian soap opera "Home and Away" a 15yo girl suffered a head, brain injury. Her sister and brother are doctors and are treating her. Is that permitted? I don't think that here in the USA that relatives are allowed to treat other relatives.

And on another Australian soap "Neighbours" there is a same-sex married couple David and Aaron. David is a doctor. And in one recent storyline David said that he could not write out a prescription for Aaron.

On the Australian soap opera "Home and Away" a 15yo girl suffered a head, brain injury. Her sister and brother are doctors and are treating her. Is that permitted? I don't think that here in the USA that relatives are allowed to treat other relatives.

And on another Australian soap "Neighbours" there is a same-sex married couple David and Aaron. David is a doctor. And in one recent storyline David said that he could not write out a prescription for Aaron.

My aunt, who is my mom's sister, is my brother's and his family's doctor...they live in Melbourne.

On the Australian soap opera "Home and Away" a 15yo girl suffered a head, brain injury. Her sister and brother are doctors and are treating her. Is that permitted? I don't think that here in the USA that relatives are allowed to treat other relatives....

The American Medical Association's Code of Medical Ethics advises against doing so, but does not state that the practice is illegal.

...And on another Australian soap "Neighbours" there is a same-sex married couple David and Aaron. David is a doctor. And in one recent storyline David said that he could not write out a prescription for Aaron.

"I can't..." in this context probably means "This is something that runs counter to my code of ethics."

To treat relatives would be frowned upon, but probably happens a lot for minor illnesses - likewise the pharmacist may or may not allow you to prescribe to your relative. It all depends on the seriousness and the drugs that are prescribed. I prescribe antibiotics to my partner rarely.