Matthew Shepard Will Be Interred at the Washington National Cathedral, 20 Years After His Death

TruHart1
This topic is 2042 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Thanks TruHart for bringing this to my attention. I was so sad that a family that was unable to inter a son that had been murdered because they believed that his ashes would be desecrated. The article also mentions however that "his ashes will be placed in a niche in the National Cathedral’s columbarium, a private, off-limits area on the lower level of the massive Gothic cathedral . . ." If that means what it literally states then I am equally sad because while Matthew's ashes will finally have a final resting place I am not sure why the area where it will be is not open to the public so that the public can pay respects to someone who changed LGBT history to a great extent (of course, I wonder that about the other amazing people that rest there). Perhaps someone knows? In places like Westminster Abbey (I believe) you can touch the stones above which the bodies of important individuals like Stephen Hawkings are interred.