Vietnamese Dining Customs?

Avalon
This topic is 2048 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

As a fairly traditional Vietnamese, I can attest that’s not a “custom” - ha ahaaa. I think it’s a joke either about how close Asian families are that they share everything including a napkin or it could be how cheap/frugal or practical Asians are (why waste resources for single use). Or it could be to show how weird Asians are compared to Americans.

BTW, when growing up in Vietnam, we don’t even use napkins - that’s what the back of hands are for. :)

As a fairly traditional Vietnamese, I can attest that’s not a “custom” - ha ahaaa. I think it’s a joke either about how close Asian families are that they share everything including a napkin or it could be how cheap/frugal or practical Asians are (why waste resources for single use). Or it could be to show how weird Asians are compared to Americans.

BTW, when growing up in Vietnam, we don’t even use napkins - that’s what the back of hands are for. :)

Thank-you for sharing that. Thinking now about it it may have been to show how paranoid Sheldon is about germs. When the series began he was shown wearing gloves at the home dining table.

Sean I chuckled with your comment of not using napkins. I am in Hanoi now. Even staying in nicer hotels,

You sometimes need to search out napkins . My bf is Vietnamese. Many times when he and friends are sitting

Around eating they will have one group wash cloth nearby If needed. Vietnamese love to fit around on the floor with large group of family or friends. They love their food and are very good at not wearing it, but for the floor

After the meal, that can be a big clean up job.

Ho Chi Minh City is becoming very westernized. Very modern. You would have no problem getting most of the amenities we get in the US.

Hanoi on the other hand is just starting to emerge with internet, cellphones and cars. So still very old world charm. When you get out of the tourist areas it will set you back 50 years.

We come 3 or 4 times a year for my friend to visit family and friends.

I always carry 2 or 3 cloth handkerchiefs to use as my napkins.

Sean I chuckled with your comment of not using napkins. I am in Hanoi now. Even staying in nicer hotels,

You sometimes need to search out napkins . My bf is Vietnamese. Many times when he and friends are sitting

Around eating they will have one group wash cloth nearby If needed. Vietnamese love to fit around on the floor with large group of family or friends. They love their food and are very good at not wearing it, but for the floor

After the meal, that can be a big clean up job.

Cool and super jealous about being in Hanoi. Yeah, I bring wet wipes with me when in Asia - wiping hands, face covered in dust or sweat, etc. And super handy when needing to use bathrooms because there’s no toilet paper. :) And unlike your bf, i’m definitely not talented enough to eat without getting stuff all over my clothes. Curries and bun bo hue are so hard to get out of clothes!!! Too bad they don’t make sexy and fashionable bibs (the kinds given for eating lobsters).

Safe travel. Love to hear more about the trip.