Happy Birthday Stephen King - 21 September

Avalon
This topic is 2063 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Mr. King is personally quite fascinating, becoming one of the most successful best-selling authors in modern publishing history. After getting a teaching job in a small state college, he spent his spare time, living in a trailer with his wife and growing young family, writing, hoping to have his fiction published in magazines while working on his 1973 breakthrough novel, Carrie, which became a critically well-received horror movie (almost unheard of before then!) directed by Brian De Palma.

Carrie was King's first published novel and the bidding for paperback rights to that novel was just the beginning of King's uber-successful publishing career. The 1976 movie launched Sissy Spacek's acting career (though she had previously earned recognition for her acting in Terrence Malick's 1973 film, Badlands, with Martin Sheen) and was John Travolta's big screen debut and also Piper Laurie's major comeback role. Spacek was nominated for a best actress Oscar (she later won for her role as Loretta Lynn in the 1980 biopic, Coal Miner's Daughter) and Laurie was nominated for a best supporting actress Oscar.

Since then, King's entire family has become a publishing dynasty, with his oldest son, Joe, writing as Joe Hill (he chose not to use his father's name to get himself published) being the most successful, with a talent in horror and fantasy fiction that reminds one of his father in tone. King's wife, Tabitha, wrote a number of best selling novels in the 1980's and 90's, though she has not published an original novel since 1997. His younger son, Owen, published a best selling novel last year, Sleeping Beauties, which he co-wrote with his father.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Stephen King, (my first experience with his writing was when I discovered his vampire novel, Salem's Lot, in my local library back in @ 1978!)one of the best and most accessible authors I continue to have the pleasure of reading!

TruHart1 :cool: