Supreme court in India strikes down ban on gay sex in unanimous decision

Walker1
This topic is 2072 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Actually it was only 15 years ago in the US. In 2003, the US Supreme Court overturned its 1986 decision that upheld a Georgia law outlawing sodomy.

There's an excellent book on the 2003 court case by Dale Carpenter - Flagrant Conduct: The Story of Lawrence V. Texas. The book also provides a really good lesson on how the court system works in the US. I cried when I read the chapter describing the scene when the court handed down their decision. The precedent set by Lawrence V. Texas was also used 12 years later in Obergefell v. Hodges.

The book also confirms what a royal prick Scalia was. I hope the bastard is burning in hell.

Interesting -from the article,

"It was some of India’s Christian groups that put up the most aggressive defense of the law. Lawyers for these groups argued that sexual orientation was not innate and that decriminalizing gay sex would lead to the transmission of H.I.V."

Looks like some of the same rhetoric from the 80s here?