New Seven Wonders Of The World

Avalon
This topic is 2129 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Angkor Wat should’ve been in. It is 10 times more important and impressive than Christ the Redeemer in Brazil. But poor Cambodia just didn’t have enough population/voters against Brazil. It’s a popularity contest after all. In fact, Angkor Wat should’ve been ranked ahead of the Petra as well.

It would be a tough call between Borobudur and Angkor Wat. In this relatively overlooked part of Asia, both these behemoths are pretty hard to ignore.

Also, Borobudur is adjacent to the Prambanan temple complex which always struck me as Angkor's 'sharper' twin.

Edited by Youngmilkman

Borobudur is not even a semifinalist. So there is no point to bring that one out. Plus, I would think Angkor Wat has a bit more significance as it's THE largest religious complex in the world and it's very much the symbol of the Khmer civilization . This obviously doesn't take anything away from Borodudur of course. If you want to go down this road further, I'd say Pagan looks just as impressive as Angkor Wat... Anyway, they ALL should be more deserving than that Jesus statue in Brazil, built in the 20th century! And it's not even that big!

It would be a tough call between Borobudur and Angkor Wat. In this relatively overlooked part of Asia, both these behemoths are pretty hard to ignore.

Also, Borobudur is adjacent to the Prambanan temple complex which always struck me as Angkor's 'sharper' twin.

Edited by JohnGerman

Borobudur is not even a semifinalist. So there is no point to bring that one out. Plus, I would think Angkor Wat has a bit more significance as it's THE largest religious complex in the world and its very much the symbol of the Khmer civilization . This obviously doesn't take anything away from Borodudur of course. If you want to go down this road further, I'd say Pagan looks just as impressive as Angkor Wat... Anyway, they ALL should be more deserving than that Jesus statue in Brazil, built in the 20th century! And it's not even that big!

This U2 video was filmed there, I've always been fascinated by that place.

Based on my personal experience, while Pantheon and Versailles are indeed quite nice, they never came anywhere close to that awestruck, spine-tingling sensation that I felt when I first saw Angkor Wat or the Great Wall. Talking about the Great Wall, I think a lot of tourist attractions in China did not match my expectations. Even that huge Terracotta Warriors pit wasn't as big as I had imagined. But boy oh boy, when I first saw the Great Wall with my own eyes, I was completely blown away. I have never been to Machu Picchu, but when I first saw it on a Continental Airlines poster at a train station, I was absolutely mesmerized.

Though not on the list I would have liked the Roman Pantheon and the Palace of Versailles

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheon,_Rome

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palace_of_Versailles

I highly highly recommend a visit to Siem Reap, where Angkor Wat is located. The nice thing is, Angkor Wat is just one of the MANY awesome sites you can visit there. There is also Angkor Thom/Bayon with those giant smiling Buddha heads, Ta Prom (giant tropical trees growing into the crumbling temples. Angelia Jolie shot her Tomb Raider movie there. There is a tree there that local folks call it the Angelina Jolie tree :p), Banteay Srei (or queen's palace), with those intricate red stone carving and sculptures. You can also go see Tonle Sap lake... Lots of excellent hotels, and the availability of handsome local professionals. ;)

Borobudur is not even a semifinalist. So there is no point to bring that one out. Plus, I would think Angkor Wat has a bit more significance as it's THE largest religious complex in the world and its very much the symbol of the Khmer civilization . This obviously doesn't take anything away from Borodudur of course. If you want to go down this road further, I'd say Pagan looks just as impressive as Angkor Wat... Anyway, they ALL should be more deserving than that Jesus statue in Brazil, built in the 20th century! And it's not even that big!

The genius pyramid at Borobudur should definitely be on the list. Dump Christ the Redeemer and the Colosseum, which are both just vacuous “big things,” and there’s plenty of room.