Will & Grace: It's Over

ValleyDwellerNorth
This topic is 6582 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

RE: Will & Grace: It's Over...thank goodness.

Karen's line, "Do what any respectable woman would do in the same situation ... point your heels towards Jesus and think of handbags," is what made the show WILL AND GRACE great! I dare anyone to name one other network sitcom that offered lines like that one, let alone within a gay-concept show.

There are too many statements on this thread that are calling me to respond but I have to resist, otherwise, I'll be writing all day.

However, I will say:

I think the reason WILL AND GRACE garnered such vitriolic reaction from many gay men is because many gay men desire perfection in almost everything "gay:" especially their "gay" entertainment. That's the way our genes seem to be wired.

WILL AND GRACE had its brilliant moments but, unfortunately, the brilliant moments weren't consistent enough and the story lines often went from ridiculous, to wacky, to insanely stupid. Even though the show was never based in any kind of believable reality, it often tipped so far off the edge of tolerable surreal it became difficult to watch and enjoy. I too often found myself yelling at the TV, "ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME WITH THIS SHIT!," and changed the channel. The past couple of years I stopped watching.

I could go on about the lonely success of being Hollywood's token gay-partnered creators. I never envied their stress. I could also go on about NBC taking on the country's conservative leanings and objections, slapping them in prime-time (almost ages ago) with a flamboyantly gay, highly-financed show. But, alas, I'll just spare myself any lengthy diatribe and end this by saying:

1 - When WILL AND GRACE got it right it was FABULOUS.

2 - All four stars had four-star chemistry, the envy of every top-level casting director.

3 - Megan Mullally's moment at the piano demonstrated yet another aspect of this brilliantly talented woman. Too bad Sean Hayes' vocal styling couldn't compare and actually got in the way of my enjoyment of Ms. Mullally.

4 - How about that six-year old wedge-haircut of Harry's? I can' t believe the queens didn't catch that. I hear Dorothy Hamill is suing. :-)

5 - Is it me or does Harry Connick Jr. look really ugly at certain angles? He's starting to look like Barry Manilow. Yikes!

6 - Megan Mullally is making a big mistake resorting to talk-show-shit-chat fest. I've seen many TV interviews with her as guest and she's completely boring, the EXACT opposite of Karen. She's a great actress and a great singer but I predict she will suck as a talk show host. Just my opinion, of course.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived