The Favourite

LoveNDino
This topic is 1891 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Favourite has its moments, but there are also a ton of languishing, stereotypical film school shots that simply feel like filler and not like it's moving the storyline forward. This is the 'small film' darling of the upcoming awards season that every media outlet is getting behind.

Emma Stone gives a strong performance and Colman chews the scenery with the best of them.

I'd more recommend Vox Lux if you want to see something edgy and truly interesting.

Edited by Benjamin_Nicholas

This movie is just a gem. Loved it. Olivia Colman is on her way to being an international treasure. Here she is, winning an award for the movie (and @TruHart1, is that our beloved we see at the 3:20 mark, looking dashing).

If you have not seen her in Broadchurch, see it. It is a British series (crime drama) with she and David Tennant as dueling police officers. She is fantastic in it. The first two series are fantastic. The third one is good but felt like a filler.

If you have not seen her in Broadchurch, see it. It is a British series (crime drama) with she and David Tennant as dueling police officers. She is fantastic in it. The first two series are fantastic. The third one is good but felt like a filler.

I have - in fact it’s my first introduction to her work! Appreciate the heads up, though!

I liked this movie, but I certainly don't see what all the fuss is about. One of the posts here called it scenery-chewing, and it is....I mean that as a compliment. Even though Elizabeth and Mary never met, that's OK, and the history is accurate enough. But it's really about privileged people acting very stupidly. The movie has a point, but gee whiz, it's not all that good.

See "Mary of Scotland" with Katharine Hepburn and Frederick March. (1936.) That's when movies were movies! (Isn't that a song from Mack and Mabel?)

I liked this movie, but I certainly don't see what all the fuss is about. One of the posts here called it scenery-chewing, and it is....I mean that as a compliment. Even though Elizabeth and Mary never met, that's OK, and the history is accurate enough. But it's really about privileged people acting very stupidly. The movie has a point, but gee whiz, it's not all that good.

See "Mary of Scotland" with Katharine Hepburn and Frederick March. (1936.) That's when movies were movies! (Isn't that a song from Mack and Mabel?)

Were you referring to Mary, Queen of Scots or The Favourite . . . or both?

This movie is just a gem. Loved it. Olivia Colman is on her way to being an international treasure. Here she is, winning an award for the movie (and @TruHart1, is that our beloved we see at the 3:20 mark, looking dashing).

Yes indeed, Coleman was fantastic in Broadchurch. I’ve not yet seen The Favourite yet but I am really looking forward to the next series of The Crown on Netflix, to see how Coleman does as Queen Elizabeth ll, taking the role over from Claire Foy, who was so good in the first two series! Oh, and @LoveNDino, that is indeed our boy Russell looking mighty spiffy at the 3:20 point!

TruHart1 ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
People did actually leave from the showing I went to. I thought it was worthwhile, but I wouldn't watch it again, something I do often with movies.

The only Oscar-nominated films I've watched more than once are A Star Is Born and The Green Book. I'd be happy if either one won Best Picture.

I wanted to see Green Book but screwed up on its start time so when I got to the theater it was 30 minutes into the movie. The Favourite was about to start so I decided to see it instead. But I wish I had turned around and gone home. Yes, Olivia Colemen as Queen Anne was terrific and the 18th century costumes were entertaining, but I found the rest of it tedious. And the ending sucks. A movie doesn't always need a happy ending to be good, but the ending of this movie is just... yuck.

• 4 weeks later...