Panhandler price points.

sync
This topic is 2151 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Where I am, they've gotten more aggressive in their asks. Once I was outside the office, told the guy asking I left my wallet in the office, and he told me to go get it--that guy's been at it for months and seemingly doesn't remember I'm not giving him anything.

I generally don't give money to anyone but buskers. I keep my conscience in check by giving to the homeless shelter and food bank.

The same kind of aggressive panhandling is happening in my area too. One woman had the nerve to demand my buddy go to an ATM to buy her headphones. One guy started yelling at everyone sitting in traffic because no one was budging to give him anything. Things are getting worse, more and more homeless camps are appearing in my city in plain view and more homeless people are showing up on a lot of street corners. It's something that is getting more common and as times get tougher it's harder to deny the reason why. I'm not against donating but I feel that doing so in a manner that's organized is better than allowing it to happen spur of the moment because it encourages behavior. After having people follow and demand money my mindset is more on my safety than anything else.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's one guy on the subway who asked for money so that he could stay at a hostel for the night. He said he had $16 and needed $35 to get the room. No one gave, and the whole subway care felt so tense that I gave him a dollar. A few days later, he was back with the same story and the very same amount, although he looked worse. Now he's added on a story about getting a warehouse job and wanting a good night's sleep before starting. I feel for him, and I don't regret having given him the dollar.

I've seen the same people asking for change on the L for yrs now. For a new person to the city it can be heart breaking. But after seeing the same people for 5 or 6 yrs with the same story I'm not buying it. Life is hard, shit happens but seriously in a matter of yrs you can't better yourself? Here's something to ponder. Here in Chicago there is a out reach program called Heartland. They will accept gov issued mail and I believe regular mail so that one can get public aid. With the public aid one doesn't need a place to cook food cause all they have to do is go to a Marianos (owned by Kroger grocery), go to the meat dept and buy a steak, fish, pork from the meat case and after purchasing the product the store will cook it on their grill, for free. This is something that's offered to the public. So as long as someone didnt get cut off for scamming they can eat. If they got cut off for scamming, not my issue.

Hugs,

Greg

I am all for sharing. That's pretty common for us working stiffs, our willingness to help out. I give generous tips at restaurants and always comment to my friends how these people need the money, in an encouraging way.

That said , I rarely give to panhandlers. I never give when pumping gas. I won't do it.

I don't give at the off ramp.

In general I don't like to get my wallet out around a stranger.

I don't like the nonprofits that hang outside the grocery store, e.g. DARE, and so on.

I agree with the earlier comment. I give $$ to buskers.

I am all for sharing. That's pretty common for us working stiffs, our willingness to help out. I give generous tips at restaurants and always comment to my friends how these people need the money, in an encouraging way.

That said , I rarely give to panhandlers. I never give when pumping gas. I won't do it.

I don't give at the off ramp.

In general I don't like to get my wallet out around a stranger.

I don't like the nonprofits that hang outside the grocery store, e.g. DARE, and so on.

I agree with the earlier comment. I give $$ to buskers.

I've never been panhandled for anything more than change. Very occasionally I give, but never in captive audience situations. In one case to someone who was lying on a cold sidewalk in DC and hadn't asked but clearly could use a warm drink, and in another case to someone at a public transit hub. Ironically, I got more aggressively panhandled by someone at the other end of the trip. I didn't bother to explain I'd already given away what change I had to give. Not her business.