Cancun

TerryP
This topic is 6620 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hi everyone. I will be travelling to Cancun in two weeks and would love to hear anyone's comments or tips in terms of what to check out. From surfing the web I see there are a couple of gay bars in town. We will of course try to be cultured as well and will likely visit Chichen Itza.

Appreciate any comments.

- Terry

Guest jstlooknthx

I am leaving for Cancun in the morning. I always skip the insanity of Cancun and go directly to Play del Carmen. It's about 45 mins south. Same amazing water without the frat party, Girls Gone Wild atmosphere.

It is not the sleepy town it was ten years ago, but it is still very laid back. Fewer Americans. More Europeans and Mexico City natives on vacation. Cozumel is just a ferry ride away for diving and snorkeling. There is one gay bar called Playa 69(quaint, huh?)which gets pretty crowded. Kind of that decades old, small town gay bar feel. Pretty funny. There is also a gay beach about a 45 mins walk up from the main beach.

Everything is on one main street, 5th Ave. Lots of shops, restaurants, bars with rope swings. Most of all, somehow I always get laid there. Very friendly town. I stay at a gay owned place called Adventura Mexicana. Usually find people to hang out with if I like. I like to wander off alone mostly. Check it out when you're there.

Hey Guys,

I just got back form the area today but I was down there for work x( and had the opportunity to check things out related to my job. You might want to consider going down to Tulum as an option. Its about 100 kl from Cancun and much less crowded than Playa del Carmen as well.

Great beaches and very bohemian atmosphere at some of the smaller eco-friendly places along the strip. If you want the big beached-cruise-ship-resorts that are all-inclusive then consider Aventura Spa Palace or Gran Ba'hia. However, I suggest going a bit further down the highway to Tulum Pueblo and hitting the boutique properties.

Consider these options:

Zama's - perhaps the best food in the area. People from Cancun will drive down there just for dinner. Rooms are nice, but rustic plumbling. Very eco-friendly and uses solar power. Does not take credit cards at the restaurant though. Live music most nights from jazz to new age.

Ana y Jose - the nicest place on the strip. However, the staff are not customer oriented. Food is good if you can get around the attitude.

Maya Tulum Spa - Decent rooms, great restaurant called Copal. Like many of the properties the Yoga fad is big here and in the area in general.

Los Lrios - largest property but if you are into ameities then it may not be for you. Best service staff on the strip IMO. Held a small, high level, conference there last week and it was great for our group of conservationists.

Looking for real local food, try Don Cafeto in Tulum Pueblo. Real authenic local Mexcican food. No credit cards.

You should consider the Tulum ruins as well if you want a good dose of Mayan culture. Suggestion, do any sight seeing in the morning because by 10:00 a.m. its going to start getting HOT. REAL HOT.

Ask about swimming options in a Cenote. These are the underground river systems that provide most of the fresh water in the region. Large pools open up to the surface and offer some incredible swimming opportunites. (These river systems run for perhaps hundreds of kilometers underground and are just now being explored by scientists.)

Some are better than others so ask around if you want to do this. There is one in the Sian Ka'an reserve that is good and popular with locals. Also a few down in Muyill. These places are all over the area so I suggest taking the chance on this if you get bored with the beach. Just do me one favor if you do this, please get some bio-degradeable sunscreen to limit the enviromental impact on the freshwater.

OK, I have likely given you more than you want to know, or even care about here, but having just been there three times in the last four months I hope this is helpful.

Archived