BANDSTAND, Broadway movie

LaffingBear
This topic is 2150 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

At first, I thought they'd created one of those movie special events by filming the current Boys In The Band redux.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/bandstand

The event full promotional title is misleading. The Boys Are Back: Bandstand.

I recognize now its unrelated to the current Boys run on Broadway. Nonetheless, I'm thinking of going tonight. Tonight, or never, and wait, hope it'll be released online, on disc, etc.

Anyone familiar with this show? Reviews?

I decided not to go.

1. I went to a movie midday, wasnt enthusiastic to return to theater 7pm.
  2. There werent many seats remaining for Bandstand when I checked.
  3. Judged that, if it was great, I'd have heard more about it. At $17.00, I decided to wait, it'll show on Amazon, or Google, eventually.

I like these new crossovers of Broadway or Met Opera at my local cinema. Its how I saw NPH in Company, and Newsies. I keep watching announcements and plan to take advantage of the Met Opera showings.

I saw the Monday night showing. I also have a friend in the cast (the woman who plays the radio announcer and other roles). I wasn't able to get to NY to see the show live so I was thrilled that they were able to do this movie theatre showing.

I loved it. Just the energy and committment of Corey Cott and Laura Osnes alone is wonderful to watch, but it's a tight ensemble cast who all do great work. I think the show itself is well-written and very clever - yes, there are a few holes in the story and moments that don't quite ring true, but I really enjoyed it overall. It should have run longer.

Indeed, one of the show's tricky points is in its also wanting to create more awareness about PTSD and vets' struggles overall (the way it's ultimately used in the climax of the plot is one of those moments that doesn't feel quite right), I absolutely applaud their wanting to tell that story, and also to connect the show to current vets organizations as they do.

@LaffingBear, I get your confusion with the title, though. "The Boys Are Back" is actually the name of one of the songs in the show, and of course a major plot point in general - but the title logo does highlight that phrase a bit too much IMO. Plus, not only does the phrase "the boys" remind us instantly of another "band" show (that currently-running "straight" play lol), we've also really had a glut of "band" shows recently, which is just an odd coincidence, but even so...

Bandstand

The Band's Visit

The Boys In The Band

(and, starting previews soon) Gettin' The Band Back Together

Come July 19th, the latter 3 shows will all be running at the same time.

o_O