Career Transition: Career Coach or Recruiter?

JustScott

I’m considering a career shift and was wondering if anyone ever worked with someone professionally through a similar transition, whether a “coach” or some kind of recruiter or headhunter or agency.  Any experience you could share or words of wisdom would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, JustScott said:

I’m considering a career shift and was wondering if anyone ever worked with someone professionally through a similar transition, whether a “coach” or some kind of recruiter or headhunter or agency.  Any experience you could share or words of wisdom would be appreciated.

I used a coach during the final ten years of my professional career and he was helpful in getting me through a couple job transitions.  I prefer a coach over a recruiter or headhunter because I think they are more likely to be aligned with what’s best for you.   One simple piece of advice he gave me about job change was to not leave your old job just to get away from a situation you no longer like, but to leave only when you are excited about the opportunity and the fit for you future.  One word of caution, coaches can be very expensive so an alternative might be to find a trusted businessman who will mentor you for free. Good luck.