Picking Masseur at spa?

Alanchen
This topic is 1803 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hi,

I always want to have my favorite masseur from a spa. However, without seeing pictures, I’ m not sure how. I always feel embarrassed for asking for a different person at the spa if my masseur is not my type. Any advise?

Are you asking about NYC spas or elsewhere? If you're asking about NYC, then you might call a little in advance to one of the spas where you will get useful advice (Shangrila, Utopia, Time Square Spa). Tell them what you're looking for and the managers at those places will help you. You will likely not get this kind of help everywhere, but I suspect you will at the places I named.

I asked them at TSQ who I was going to be with, and they just said “we’re all good,” so maybe you can’t always get your choice person there?

I've always requested by name at Time Square Spa, sometimes after a discussion of who is available at a given time. I don't doubt that Jimmy or anyone else answering the phone would say "we're all good," but I think they'd help someone with specific request or interest.

If you're introduced to your masseur at a spa, and you decide that he isn't your type, you're right -- you'd have a very embarrassing moment if you asked for someone else. I really don't see how you could worm your way out of that.

I think that if you asked the spa in advance, you wouldn't get much help. The best thing to do is to ask here, on this message board. You'll get much more honesty in the comments and opinions.

I think that if you asked the spa in advance, you wouldn't get much help. The best thing to do is to ask here, on this message board. You'll get much more honesty in the comments and opinions.

Well, this is the key part I left out - this board is the best place for info. I do think you'd get a little help from Jimmy at TSS or Jack/Xiao at Shangrila/Utopia, but it would be limited and it depends on whether "your type" is something like "tall Latino" (A: "Rodrigo at Shangrila") or instead like "best sensual" (A: "We're all good."). But @beethoven is correct - that's a distant second best to opinions on this board.

So I’ve had my share of massages and I would agree if you’re not seasoned it might feel really odd to say “no thanks” when you see who you got, BUT, after more than a few misses and spending hundreds of my own dollars when I’m looking for a particular experience, I’ve grown more bold to say something like “sorry I was hoping for someone more (insert word young, muscular, thin, etc). At the end of the day, you’re a paying customer. While it may feel weird at first, you’ll find it was worth it to get what you want. I’ve found the Masseurs understand and move on. They are also not emotionally attached and understand the game.