Years and Years, new Russell T. Davies drama

This topic is 1257 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

+++++++AGAIN spoiler+++++++++++++++++++

Holy sh!t. Yet I am not surprised. It's Russell T. Davies. This has been his schtick, e.g. Torchwood, killing off central characters.

Hard to watch, Viv getting elected while Viktor and Daniel are going through Hell, and then the terrible outcome. Really hard stuff.

All the while Rosie is still crowing how they need Viv to fix everything. :(

Here's an article about about Russell T. Davies's decision on offing this main character and Russell's reaction when he first found out!

http://highlighthollywood.com/2019/07/hbos-years-and-years-initially-had-a-different-plan-for-that-major-death-said-star-russell-tovey/?fbclid=IwAR1lKPgJd8hiyI9wcrDIknhltp2qp8KzH4EYjZYf1D0qyI5k0Yi2lJBQTww

The article also states that this mini-series will NOT have a season 2.

TruHart1 :cool:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an article about about Russell T. Davies's decision on offing this main character and Russell's reaction when he first found out!

http://highlighthollywood.com/2019/07/hbos-years-and-years-initially-had-a-different-plan-for-that-major-death-said-star-russell-tovey/?fbclid=IwAR1lKPgJd8hiyI9wcrDIknhltp2qp8KzH4EYjZYf1D0qyI5k0Yi2lJBQTww

The article also states that this mini-series will NOT have a season 2.

TruHart1 :cool:

My reaction to the character's death said nothing about me moralistically. I did not want Daniel to survive over Viktor because Daniel was the "Western" character. In fact, I was insisting that both characters survive because there are so few gay characters that can go on and lead "boring" lives together rather than one of the characters having to die. Here it appeared that there were plenty of characters that could have died. The father did die. And then there were a lot of others that were available for death but of course the one that had to die was the widely known gay character. It reminded me of the gay character in Downton Abbey. There was one gay character and instead of having the character being a kind person that perhaps falls in love (which did and could have happened during those times) he is a nasty character who finds it almost impossible to interact with in a loving relationship. The character changes slightly during the very last episodes but that is well, well into the series. It could have started in the beginning. And so here I had high hopes that a loving gay relationship would be allowed to develop and it would develop into that "boring" loving relationship that all of us might aspire to. But no he dies.

My reaction to the character's death said nothing about me moralistically. I did not want Daniel to survive over Viktor because Daniel was the "Western" character. In fact, I was insisting that both characters survive because there are so few gay characters that can go on and lead "boring" lives together rather than one of the characters having to die. Here it appeared that there were plenty of characters that could have died. The father did die. And then there were a lot of others that were available for death but of course the one that had to die was the widely known gay character. It reminded me of the gay character in Downton Abbey. There was one gay character and instead of having the character being a kind person that perhaps falls in love (which did and could have happened during those times) he is a nasty character who finds it almost impossible to interact with in a loving relationship. The character changes slightly during the very last episodes but that is well, well into the series. It could have started in the beginning. And so here I had high hopes that a loving gay relationship would be allowed to develop and it would develop into that "boring" loving relationship that all of us might aspire to. But no he dies.

This is the 2nd time RTD has killed off a Russell T character. Bummer!

I expect the family will rally around Viktor. If sent back to Ukraine he'd be in certain trouble.

Edited by E.T.Bass

This is the 2nd time RTD has killed off a Russell T character. Bummer!

I expect the family will rally around Viktor. If sent back to Ukraine he'd be in certain trouble.

Stephen. What a bum!

1 week to go?

Guess there will be no resolution. If RTD were to kill off anyone else I'm leaning towards Viv.

Stephen. What a bum!

1 week to go?

Guess there will be no resolution. If RTD were to kill off anyone else I'm leaning towards Viv.

I do not think there will be any resolution to the woes of England (I'd hate to think it is a precursor to our little country) but from the trailer (?) that they showed after the last episode it appears that Edith and her girlfriend with the help of some (all) of the family break or attempt to break Viktor out of the detainment facility (concentration camp) he was placed in after Stephen betrayed him.

I do not think there will be any resolution to the woes of England (I'd hate to think it is a precursor to our little country) but from the trailer (?) that they showed after the last episode it appears that Edith and her girlfriend with the help of some (all) of the family break or attempt to break Viktor out of the detainment facility (concentration camp) he was placed in after Stephen betrayed him.
Seems the UK is hurtling towards ultimate chaos as the series unwinds.

I'm reminded when Benedict Cumerbatch proclaimed that a government deciding to kill gay people is something worth fighting to the death over. But sadly this show seems to suggest how people just watch it all on the tele, not comprehending what's going on or what is at stake.

Seems the UK is hurtling towards ultimate chaos as the series unwinds.

I'm reminded when Benedict Cumerbatch proclaimed that a government deciding to kill gay people is something worth fighting to the death over. But sadly this show seems to suggest how people just watch it all on the tele, not comprehending what's going on or what is at stake.

What's ironic is that it appears that is exactly what is happening. Crazy Boris is PM and that may cause the UK to split because much of it does not want to leave the EU. They are giving Russia just what it wants. And instead of the U.S. being solid enough to keep it together it is itself having to try to keep itself together and not crazy.

I have to admit that I find the final episode seemed rushed and ultimately unsatisfying. Perhaps it was because I expected the male gay characters to be more positively involved than they ended up being. However I have to say that the female gay characters did end up being the heroes of the series (not the only ones but major heroes). The one piece that I found extraordinary was the speech given by the terrific actress Anne Reid about how the world is determined by the choices we make and is "all our fault." It is a really strong speech. Otherwise, it is one of the few series that I thought really could have had more episodes to give it time to develop.

I have to admit that I find the final episode seemed rushed and ultimately unsatisfying. Perhaps it was because I expected the male gay characters to be more positively involved than they ended up being. However I have to say that the female gay characters did end up being the heroes of the series (not the only ones but major heroes). The one piece that I found extraordinary was the speech given by the terrific actress Anne Reid about how the world is determined by the choices we make and is "all our fault." It is a really strong speech. Otherwise, it is one of the few series that I thought really could have had more episodes to give it time to develop.

I agree. Seven probably not enough to accomplish everything they were after. I was disappointed how the story unwound.

• 1 year later...

Late to the table on this series, but just finished it on a long-haul flight. You can find it on HBO Max.

Really enjoyed this show. The ensemble casting was great.

I liked that they took immediate chances with the characters, knowing full-well that this wasn't going to be an ongoing series. While I appreciated they included all mixes of race and sexualities on this show, they didn't pander and made it feel very natural... Very real.

The show had touches of Black Mirror in it, which I loved.

As with reality, it showed the best and worst of the people involved. Neither black, nor white, but shades of gray.

Some of the plot felt a little silly towards the end and like others here said, it was a little rushed to finish up.

Late to the table on this series, but just finished it on a long-haul flight. You can find it on HBO Max.

Really enjoyed this show. The ensemble casting was great.

I liked that they took immediate chances with the characters, knowing full-well that this wasn't going to be an ongoing series. While I appreciated they included all mixes of race and sexualities on this show, they didn't pander and made it feel very natural... Very real.

The show had touches of Black Mirror in it, which I loved.

As with reality, it showed the best and worst of the people involved. Neither black, nor white, but shades of gray.

Some of the plot felt a little silly towards the end and like others here said, it was a little rushed to finish up.

And for me there is a twist that I found to be really unexpected.

I thought the show was thought provoking, but toward the end...meh...got a little too cliche and a little too weird, especially with the inplanted tech on the one girl, and the lady living forever at the end. I was a little pissed about Russell's story arc because in a way it seemed too tragic. I did enjoy Russell on Looking...too bad that one didn't last but a couple of seasons.

I thought the show was thought provoking, but toward the end...meh...got a little too cliche and a little too weird, especially with the inplanted tech on the one girl, and the lady living forever at the end. I was a little pissed about Russell's story arc because in a way it seemed too tragic. I did enjoy Russell on Looking...too bad that one didn't last but a couple of seasons.

Consider the source: Davies (the creator) also did Doctor Who. His vision of implanted tech and how tech ultimately will come to control us is not that far-fetched. It was in the realm of what could be.

SPOILER ALERT:

One of the characters needed to die and choosing the boyfriend would have been too predictable. The death scene hit me like a ton of bricks, which is EXACTLY what great writing should do. When the shot opened, we expected to see possibly both bodies, but we only got one... The one we never thought we'd see. I like writers who take risks like that.

Risks that, sure, could initially piss off an audience, but also make them more connected emotionally to what happens onward.

Edited by Benjamin_Nicholas

SPOILER ALERT:

One of the characters needed to die and choosing the boyfriend would have been too predictable. The death scene hit me like a ton of bricks, which is EXACTLY what great writing should do. When the shot opened, we expected to see possibly both bodies, but we only got one... The one we never thought we'd see.

I like writers who take risks like that. Risks that could initially piss off an audience, but also make them more connected emotionally to what happens onward.

I agree. I was taken for a loop because it was unexpected. Or it was for me at any length.

Just binged this show. I think its even more relevant now than when it was released last year. I was fine with the bold decision to kill off one of the main and most sympathetic characters half way through the series. It is tough to watch at times, but then so are the events unfolding now.

I agree that the ending seemed a little rushed and unconvincing. Its always difficult to come up with a satisfying ending for shows like this. There's also always going to be a desire to see what happens next to these characters. Russell is not going to give us that. What happens next is up to us.

• 3 months later...

Just binged this show. I think its even more relevant now than when it was released last year. I was fine with the bold decision to kill off one of the main and most sympathetic characters half way through the series. It is tough to watch at times, but then so are the events unfolding now.

I agree that the ending seemed a little rushed and unconvincing. Its always difficult to come up with a satisfying ending for shows like this. There's also always going to be a desire to see what happens next to these characters. Russell is not going to give us that. What happens next is up to us.

I agree and while I really liked it last year when it was originally shown I found that it has become so eerily prescient about so much in this country. Particularly when the Anne Reid character notes that while her country may have gotten rid of one "monster" - the Viv Rook character - that is when another monster is waking in their cave biding their time to take their place. I have heard so many times lately that we have taken a sigh of relief because we are going to (hopefully) getting rid of our current "monster" we must guard against the awakening and acceptance of the next monster. I wonder if our country will be able to do that or if too many of those in charge have too much to gain to put enough and the right kind of safeguards to protect against all the things that went wrong in the past decades. We shall see because our lives literally depend on it. (Plus it was nice to see Russell Tovey in various states of undress occasionally during the series.)