Cynthia Lennon, née Powell 1939-2015

marylander1940
This topic is 3282 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Cynthia Lennon (née Powell; 10 September 1939 – 1 April 2015)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynthia_Lennon

Cynthia Lennon, First Wife of John Lennon, Dies at 75 After Cancer Battle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYdiN3ldjDk

Cynthia Lennon, the first wife of the late Beatles member John Lennon and mother of son Julian Lennon, has died in Spain, a family spokeswoman said Wednesday. She was 75.

Cynthia Lennon passed away at her home in Majorca (Mallorca) following a " short but brave battle with cancer," according to a statement.

"Her son Julian Lennon was at her bedside throughout," the statement said. "The family are thankful for your prayers. Please respect their privacy at this difficult time."

Born Cynthia Powell, of Blackpool, England, she met John Lennon at 18 before he became known as a music icon. They were married in 1962, but divorced in 1968. A year later, John Lennon married Yoko Ono.

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/cynthia-lennon-first-wife-john-lennon-dies-75-after-cancer-n334021

I've read several bios of John, both pro- and anti-Yoko. Hers is a tragic story.

John apparently regretted marrying this local girl before he hit it big. He made sure Cynthia knew that he needed hot girls in quantity and cheated on her constantly. And she continued to treat him well until he chose to run off with Yoko Ono, of all women.

RIP.

I've read several bios of John, both pro- and anti-Yoko. Hers is a tragic story.

John apparently regretted marrying this local girl before he hit it big. He made sure Cynthia knew that he needed hot girls in quantity and cheated on her constantly. And she continued to treat him well until he chose to run off with Yoko Ono, of all women.

RIP.

of all possible women why Yoko the most evil one...

A friend of mine who lives in Oklahoma City (not Okie!) and I regularly debate the merits of Paul vs. John as musicians and songwriters (she's pro-Paul, I'm pro-John). We recently debated Cynthia vs. Yoko. Seeing as there's been a huge racial component to criticism of Yoko, who I actually like and admire. (Don't tell me she can't sing and you don't like her art -- I know all about that. Those aren't reasons to slam her as John Lennon's wife, and the Beatles would have broken up irrespective.)

Bottom line is that Yoko was more on the same wavelength as John than Cynthia was. Yoko was the better person for John (for one thing, she was able to put up with his infidelities (I'm not sure she even though it of that way), but in the course of it, John destroyed his relationship with his son Julian.

At any rate, I'm sorry to hear of Cynthia's death. Life, and her former husband, handed her some rotten cards, but they also gave her access to a world she probably never dreamed of as well.

A friend of mine who lives in Oklahoma City (not Okie!) and I regularly debate the merits of Paul vs. John as musicians and songwriters (she's pro-Paul, I'm pro-John). We recently debated Cynthia vs. Yoko. Seeing as there's been a huge racial component to criticism of Yoko, who I actually like and admire. (Don't tell me she can't sing and you don't like her art -- I know all about that. Those aren't reasons to slam her as John Lennon's wife, and the Beatles would have broken up irrespective.)

The contemporaneous criticism of Yoko definitely had a racial component, but I doubt today's criticism does. Today, Asian-Caucasian relationships are common and few people of either race have a problem with them. I agree that Yoko had little effect on the Beatles one way or another.

Bottom line is that Yoko was more on the same wavelength as John than Cynthia was. Yoko was the better person for John (for one thing, she was able to put up with his infidelities (I'm not sure she even though it of that way), but in the course of it, John destroyed his relationship with his son Julian.

From the Lennon bio I read, he only cheated on Yoko once, and that was with a mistress whom Yoko procured for him when he got restless. That may be because she was a better fit or because she went to extreme lengths to discourage him from meeting any other woman. When Yoko started feeling threatened, either by this Mistress or by Cynthia, she called up and threatened suicide and he trotted right back.

On the other hand, he cheated on Cynthia constantly, and she put up with it, thinking she had no other choice. According to Cynthia, John announced his intention to divorce she walked in on the two of them, both wearing kimonos and nothing else. And Cynthia just took it on the chin. Yoko would have staged a major tantrum, at the very least.

I was thinking of the time John and Yoko took a break and he spent it with May Pang. (From what I've read, it's less "Yoko procured her for him" and more "she knew he was into her and suggested he pursue that option in the meantime").

Keep in mind, the Asian/Japanese mindset on sex is different from the Western one. Yoko was acting in a way that is consistent with that; the wife has control of the household budget (investment smarts is something Yoko's been pretty consistently credited with), including payment for mistresses/girlfriends. It doesn't exactly flow the other way, but from what I've read, Japanese wives and mothers are increasingly taking lovers, which, as long as it is discreet and doesn't disrupt the family, is becoming as acceptable as, say, men hooking up with men as long as they also fulfill their family responsibilities (meaning marry and have children).

I'm not familiar with Yoko's use of the threat of suicide as a tactic to keep John in line, although from what I know of Asian culture, I wouldn't be shocked. A family friend who's from Shanghai, when exasperated with one of her three sons, would threaten to turn him over to DYFS. I think that's psychologically damaging and verbally abusive, but that kind of threat is not uncommon.

Guest Starbuck
A family friend who's from Shanghai, when exasperated with one of her three sons, would threaten to turn him over to DYFS. I think that's psychologically damaging and verbally abusive, but that kind of threat is not uncommon.

Nothing to do with Cynthia Lennon (R.I.P.), but this maternal threatening that QTR reported caught my eye.

My own mother's preferred threat to keep me in line was that she was going to mention all my bad behaviors to the priest next time she went to Confession. It filled me with anxiety that the priest might somehow know who I was when I was the one in the Confessional and would be aware that I was not confessing all the sins he had already heard about. On top of which I was nervous about burning in Hell because I was too embarrassed to admit some of the things I'd done (none of them all that bad, really). It takes a lifetime of lapsed Catholicism to recover from stuff like that, but I have dug my heels in and kept sinning to the best of my ability.

Nothing to do with Cynthia Lennon (R.I.P.), but this maternal threatening that QTR reported caught my eye.

My own mother's preferred threat to keep me in line was that she was going to mention all my bad behaviors to the priest next time she went to Confession. It filled me with anxiety that the priest might somehow know who I was when I was the one in the Confessional and would be aware that I was not confessing all the sins he had already heard about. On top of which I was nervous about burning in Hell because I was too embarrassed to admit some of the things I'd done (none of them all that bad, really). It takes a lifetime of lapsed Catholicism to recover from stuff like that, but I have dug my heels in and kept sinning to the best of my ability.

Good to know that I was not the only one who was threatened by Confession... I was almost excommunicated by a priest about whom I later learned was molesting young boys... And like you I have dug in my heals as well... So much so that I'm posting this on Good Friday! Dodging lightening bolts here.... See you and a few others in Hell...

Archived