Guilty! Guilty!

trilingual
This topic is 5989 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Ken Lay and Jeffrey Skilling were just convicted in the Enron scandal. (Hurrah, hurrah!) "Kenny-boy" was SO totally behind Shrubya's political career. Any speculation on the political fallout for the Bushes and the Greedy Old Plutocrats? This seems like another nail in the coffin. Although I have to say that self-destruction seems to be reaching epidemic proportions. What could Nancy Pelosi have been thinking about to try to generate a constitutional crisis over the search of William Jefferson's office? Hello? The three branches of government may be separate and co-equal, but they're not hermetically sealed one from the other and never have been. Congress approves the spending for the other branches and establishes their rules. The Executive appoints judges and Congress approves them. The Judiciary rules all the time on the powers of Congress or overturns laws it passed. The Executive is charged with law enforcement even if a crime is committed by a Member of Congress or a federal judge. The judiciary would try an indicted Member of Congress. In this case, the search of Jefferson's office was conducted by the Executive (FBI) pursuant to a search warrant issued by the Judiciary. It would seem that there are still plenty of check and balances. Why on earth would Pelosi stick her neck out to join Hastert (who apparently might have something of his own to hide in the Abramoff scandal)? Is the whole world mad?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest zipperzone

>Ken Lay and Jeffrey Skilling were just convicted in the Enron

>scandal. (Hurrah, hurrah!)

What I'm waiting for now is to have Bush issue a "Presidential Pardon"

I had exactly the same thought when I heard the verdict. Lay is still proclaiming his innocence as is Skilling and they will tie the courts up in appeals until Bush's term is finished. As I understand it, Presidential pardons are handed out when the President leaves office and it is not just types like Oliver whatisname in the Iran Contra affair who receive them. Clinton pardoned Marc Rich, a scuzzy crook, because his wife Denise was a big contributor to the Dems. This one looks like a slam-dunk to me.x(

I hope my permanent residence visa for Brazil comes through long before that! Not that Brazil is the land of clean politics, but as a non-citizen I don't feel connected to the local political scandals the way I do in the U.S.

I don't know if Bush would really pardon Lay/Skilling or not. At first it seems like a "slam-dunk," but an awful lot of the people who lost everything because of the Enron collapse live in Texas and vote. I wonder if he'd risk undermining other Republicans in Texas over this?

Guest zipperzone

>I don't know if Bush would really pardon Lay/Skilling or not.

>At first it seems like a "slam-dunk," but an awful lot of the

>people who lost everything because of the Enron collapse live

>in Texas and vote. I wonder if he'd risk undermining other

>Republicans in Texas over this?

Of course he would - they were buddy buddy Texas oilmen. The "Old Boys Club" is stronger than any loyalty to the Republican party, especially after he is no longer running for anything.

Personally I think the only office he could expect to win would be dog-catcher in Crawford.

It'll be interesting to see who he pardon's at the end of his term. It's unfortunate that in this as in several other things, Clinton lowered bar.

If Rove is indicted I'd expect him to eventually get a pardon, maybe Scooter too. But pardoning "Kenny-boy" given what Enron did to Texas workers and Californian consumers... it would be a new low.

Keep in mind though that these pardons are done in the lame-duck period long after the election, so it wouldn't really hurt repubs politically in the '08 presidential.

Somebody needs to make a point of asking the candidates, especially the Republican ones, whether they believe Lay, Rove and Libby deserve presidential pardons all through the campaign though. At the very least it'll give Jon Stewart something to play back to back with whomever the press secretary is as the time announcing the pardons.

• 2 weeks later...

>Ken Lay and Jeffrey Skilling were just convicted in the Enron

>scandal. (Hurrah, hurrah!) "Kenny-boy" was SO totally behind

>Shrubya's political career.

An odd observation when you consider the FACT that the crimes he was convicted of were committed during the CLINTON administration and he was giving to CLINTON at the time.

Would you like to comment on that?

>Any speculation on the political

>fallout for the Bushes and the Greedy Old Plutocrats?

yes - zero

Informatively yours,

FFF

...well, last I looked Enron was the largest manure spreader at the filthy evil stinking shrub's political roots. In that rancid world, loyalty is the ONLY thing that matters (god knows, it ISN'T brains or integrity).

I'd bet on a pardon. If, that is, the moron-in-chief isn't impeached first.

>>Ken Lay and Jeffrey Skilling were just convicted in the

>Enron

>>scandal. (Hurrah, hurrah!) "Kenny-boy" was SO totally

>behind

>>Shrubya's political career.

>

>An odd observation when you consider the FACT that the crimes

>he was convicted of were committed during the CLINTON

>administration and he was giving to CLINTON at the time.

>

Your information is both skewed and in error. Enron filed for Chapter 11 in December, 2001, 10 months after Bush made his Inaugural Address in January of the same year. Ken Lay was convicted for basically lying and misrepresenting the state of Enron's financial position UP TO THE TIME OF THE BANKRUPTCY FILING.

Most of this occurred during 2001 when Skilling had left the company and Lay was forced to take over the CEO position again. All during that year, when Bush was firmly ensconced in the White House (thanks to the Supreme Court ruling in his favor), Lay lied to analysts, shareholders and his own employees about Enron's deteriorating finances as he continued to enrich himself by dumping Enron stock.

He was convicted on 6 charges of conspiracy and fraud relating to his lying and misrepresenting the truth. He was not convicted nor charged with the crimes that others were at Enron, such as Fastow, who were enriching themselves through undisclosed deals between Enron and themselves over a period of years. He was not even charged with insider trading, because of the weaknesses in trying to prove such charges. He was convicted of separate bank fraud charges.

The amazing thing is that if Ken Lay had just walked away from Enron like Jeffrey Skilling did (although not soon enough in his case), he probably never would have been convicted in the Enron bankruptcy.

On your other point, Lay contributed over $500,000 to Bush and less than $40,000 to the Democrats. He was Bush's number one contributor. This reflects the practice of many corporate political donors, who always place a few side bets with the opposition, just in case something goes wrong.

>Your information is both skewed and in error. Enron filed for

>Chapter 11 in December, 2001, 10 months after Bush made his

>Inaugural Address in January of the same year.

That is correct, however, you don't file for bankruptcy based upon the what's happened in the last ten months. It's because of what you've been doing for quite a while and, THAT my love, was during les annees de Clinton.

What those jokers did has no bearing upon Bush and try as the media did to make it a tar baby for Bush, it's had no effect on Bush.

Better luck next time.

Smugly yours,

FFF

• 4 weeks later...

RE: Dead! Dead ! Dead?

Isn't it awful but I had the same thought. That they have staged his death and put him on a flight to Brazil with a new identity. They may have figured this was easier than a Bush pardon. Was Lay's cottage near Dick Cheny's place? I suppose Air Force 2 could have been pressed into service! After all the $$$ Lay gave them, it would only seem appropriate for a little payback.;-)

So Ken Lay's croaked. He'll be joining his fellow deceased Republican greedheads at that country-club resort by the lake of burning asphalt, where the waiters have horns and tails, the snacks are lumps of salt, the drinks are nitric/sulfuric, and the service is sullen and rude for all eternity. . .

Me too. It's the first thing I thought of. When I heard he had "died". I wondered where his hide out was going to be. After all the months of waiting, the people he cheated out of their life savings must feel really cheated now. For the next week we'll hear stories from the man's family about how the persecution killed him. UGH }(

Guest zipperzone

>So Ken Lay's croaked. He'll be joining his fellow deceased

>Republican greedheads at that country-club resort by the lake

>of burning asphalt, where the waiters have horns and tails,

>the snacks are lumps of salt, the drinks are nitric/sulfuric,

>and the service is sullen and rude for all eternity. . .

I can't help but wonder if Bush will attend the funeral. I know he has the stupidity to do it - but has he got the balls?

Archived