Blacks vs. Gays in D.C.

Ignoto
This topic is 6575 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Washington Post runs racially-targeted antigay insert

On Friday, the esteemed daily in the nation’s capital carried a sixteen-page paid advertising insert targeted at the African American community excoriating homosexuality and gay marriage which relied upon discounted science.

By John Byrne | RAW STORY Editor

The Washington Post insert which sought to dissuade readers of the links between the gay rights and civil rights movement, claimed homosexuality was proven to a choice, rather than genetic. It relied on a study by Paul Cameron, an anti-gay doctor who was thrown out the American Psychological Association in 1983 for misrepresenting the findings of studies, and has since been disowned by most of the evangelical right.

Like any newspaper, the Post has the right to reject advertisements. It has less latitude in rejecting advertisements on issues of race under the District’s civil rights ordinance, but this does not protect gays.

Using the same study, it also claims that gays with long-term partners and without AIDS live on average to be 41, and says that banning gay marriage would avert “an emerging public health crisis.”

The insert claims Dr. Martin Luther King as someone who would have opposed gay rights, even though his widow has said she believes the gay and lesbian rights movements are part of a broader civil rights movement.

“My husband, Martin Luther King Jr., once said, ‘We are all tied together in a single garment of destiny…an inescapable network of mutuality.… I can never be what I ought to be until you are allowed to be what you ought to be,’” Coretta Scott King told a conference organized by the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force. “Therefore, I appeal to everyone who believes in Martin Luther King Jr.’s dream to make room at the table of brotherhood and sisterhood for lesbian and gay people.”

Among other claims, Cameron purported that out of all the mass-murders in the US over the past seventeen years, homosexuals killed at least 68 percent of the victims, 29 percent of homosexuals urinate on their partners and 17 percent ingest human feces.

The average life span of a homosexual, Cameron wrote, is 39 years; fewer than 2 percent survive to the age of 65.

“If these statistics are even close to reliable,” writes Derek Grier, the pastor whose church paid for the insert, “this is not only a moral issue, but an emerging public health crisis.”

Grier also asserts that homosexuality is a choice.

“If homosexuality is a genetic trait and homosexuals were true to their orientation,” Grier adds, “the trait would die in the first generation.”

This contradicts basic science, in which traits are passed down through recessive genes; were this the case than almost all terminal childhood disorders would have died out since none of the children would have lived to child-bearing age.

Cameron was also censured by the Nebraska Psychological Association, the American Sociological Association, and the Midwest Sociological Society.

The flyer was first noticed on the Internet on AmericaBLOG by John Aravosis, a leading gay rights activist and blogger in Washington D.C.

http://www.bluelemur.com/index.php?p=439

Guest ReturnOfS

Dr. King worked closely with Bayard Rustin, an openly gay African American who among other things organized the civil rights March in Washington, DC in the 60s.

The folks at the Stonewall were black and hispanic drag queens.

Its one of my pet peeves when people act like gay people don't include black gay people.

Blasted article.

The scum from the GOP are clearly doing their best to drive more wedges between Americans. I pray that African-Americans, on the whole, are too experienced and smart to fall for such a blatant attempt. As another poster noted, it ignores the fact that African-American and gay aren't mutually exclusive categories, something that most people understand. It's deeply disappointing that the Washington Post didn't exercise better judgement and declined to carry the supplement. But the whole thing may backfire badly on those who paid for the supplement. Most people are repelled by calls to hate their brethren.

>As another poster noted, it ignores the fact

>that African-American and gay aren't mutually exclusive

>categories, something that most people understand. It's

>deeply disappointing that the Washington Post didn't exercise

>better judgement and declined to carry the supplement.

If they aren't so mutually exclusive, then why is the African-American community, the ONLY racial minority within the broad gay/ts/tg/bi community that has it's very own "separate" pride day/parade in DC? Seems to me, that at least in DC, it is the African-Americans that are practicing exclusion.

The W.Post, as Merlin correctly stated, has always leaned to the Democratic Party Liberal point of view, both in its news coverage and its editorials. And like any major city newspaper, especially one whose audience extends past the local market, money is the name of the game, and none of them are going to give up the big bucks that such a huge advertising insert generates.

>Get in your car.

>Drive to DC.

>Go to a Black Pride event and ask.

Wow, don't you KNOW IT ALL! :(

I can WALK to DC, so no car required, but I have one and can drive, or better yet, walk 2 blocks and ride metro! I have been to Black Pride, several times, as my last bf was Afro-American, and I didn't have to ask anything! Only the Afro-American gays in DC INSIST on their own segregated gay pride events, while fully participating in the annual gay/bi/ts/tg events! That, imo, is the HEIGHT of exlusionary practices! :(

>As I said before.

>

>Get in your car.

>Go to DC.

>Go to a Black Pride event and ask.

>

>Also I don't appreciate the caps. Its rude.

Who gives a shit, what you consider rude? :( Nothing I stated was out of bounds of the rules of this site, so just "suck it up" and deal with it!

And repeatedly stating the same old tired bs, over and over and over and over and over and over, ad infinitum does NOT give your statements any more credence than simply stating it once! :(

Guest ReturnOfS

Lets recap.

1. Because your last boyfriend was black you don't feel that you need to ask.

2. You've gone to Black Pride events serveral times, yet they are the height of exclusion.

3. You single out african-americans among other minority groups.

4. Theres no mention of the fun of being able to go to more than one set of Pride events in a year. (This is a personal favorite of mine :-) This smile is for me, not you by the way.)

As I said before.

Get in your car.

Go to DC.

Go to a Black Pride event and ask.

Also I don't appreciate the caps. I don't appreciate the cursing either. Its rude.

I single out African-Americans because they are the ones that singled out themselves by having their own separate gay pride day/parade. The fact that people of other races attend the events does not change that policy of separateness and exclusion. And if you are offended by CAPS and the word SHIT, then perhaps you should contain your baiting to non-adult oriented sites. The only one being rude is you, yourself, in your stupid baiting tactics.

I did not see anything offensive at all by VaHawk so I do not see any reason returnOFS tore his rag out. If I remember correctly this was all about a sixteen page insert in the newspaper mentioned by Ignoto. That should be the topic and is far more important than return's rant against VaHawk which I don't understand.

Agreed! To my mind, VaHawk has always been an independent, practical, and informed thinker when it comes to black/white and blackgay/whitegay relations. He doesn't fall into the typical white liberal stereotype of treating these issues with kid gloves.

Trix

Guest ReturnOfS

Does anyone know if vahawk has written anything worth me reading or corresponding to since my last post to this thread. I only have enough patience to correspond with posters for so only when I find them acting like Internet trolls.

>Does anyone know if vahawk has written anything worth me

>reading or corresponding to since my last post to this thread.

>I only have enough patience to correspond with posters for so

>only when I find them acting like Internet trolls.

Huh? You made about as much sense as your last post. Sorry you don't have enough patience for us. But than reading your posts I wonder why I even responded. Why respond to an TRUE idiot.

Ladies, this type of hostage taking and thread hyjacking is tiresome!! Let's talk about the presenting topic-- namely Gay prejudice in the black community. It truly is a phenomenon I don't understand. During the election I watched church after church in the black community denounce homosexuals. These are churches which normally fly the flag of liberal politics in every sense of the word but this one. In another strange development, the blacks of my area look down terribly on the Latinos who have taken the services jobs they will no longer do at Wendy's, Target etc... (Many episodes at the check out bear this out!) Selective civil rights? Or perhaps just holding out for the minority label?? Any thoughts???

Peace,

Kipp;)

Thoughts?

Only nelly queens refer to other gay men as ladies?

The topic was that homosexuality was a choice, not the prejudice in the Black community towards gays?

Did someone die and appoint you Miss Thread Monitor, whose main duty is to keep all threads on topic?

Why would anyone who is an adamant supporter of the Republican party and it's stand on denial of rights to gays, be concerned about the Black community's view of homosexuality?

Is the fact that the Black community has always been very intolerant of homosexuality, a new discovery, that Black gays are unaware of?

Maybe more gay people should read some works by James Baldwin, perhaps starting with "The Fire Next Time" or "Go Tell It On The Mountain"?

It is very clear that the Conservative right is using "Divide and conquer" techniques to put the two largest support groups of the Democratic party at odds with each other.

Since the 1960's Blacks have consistantly welcomed gays into the Civil Rights movement. Gays and blacks have enjoyed the mutual support for a very long time. Creating a rift between the two groups would surely seal the doom of the Democratic party.

Once again, the Conservatives are using hatred and fear to gain support. The last thing we should do is embrace their agenda and find any reason to loose our bond. In fact, the two communites should bond ever more tightly in order to survive what I believe will be much more severe attacks against our two communites.

While it is true that there are some blacks who are very vocal in their opposition to Gays, the same can be said about every race and religion. We need to stand strong in our commkon goal of equality in justice and civil rights for all, without exception.

>If they aren't so mutually exclusive, then why is the

>African-American community, the ONLY racial minority within

>the broad gay/ts/tg/bi community that has it's very own

>"separate" pride day/parade in DC? Seems to me, that at least

>in DC, it is the African-Americans that are practicing

>exclusion.

Sadly, the truth is that even within the Gay community, racism and segregation exists. I have seen first hand blatant examples of predominantly white Gay clubs discrimanating against black patrons throughout the years. I have seen them either ban their entry or make requirements of them that are difficult to fulfill or at the very least, send a message that they are not welcome. It is true that virtually all gay clubs allow a hand full of blacks into their clubs, but after a certain number come in, they begin turning them away. Clearly this is not the case at most clubs today, but it still goes on.

For these reasons, blacks across the country have opened their own bars and even held their own pride festivals.

I certainly hope that one day our community will be more united.

If the above gay supportive comments by Coretta Scott King are true, they must be quite old.

Because she has made many comments recently and reported in the Atlanta daily paper that are geneerally anti-gay and especially anti -gay marriage. Her dauighter and son have been even more vocal

about gays have no connection to the civil rights movement and that their father would have never approved of the gay lifestyle.

>If the above gay supportive comments by Coretta Scott King

>are true, they must be quite old.

Her supportive comments are TRUE and not old.

USA TODAY 03/24/04

Coretta Scott King gives her support to gay marriage

POMONA, N.J. (AP) — The widow of Martin Luther King Jr. called gay marriage a civil rights issue, denouncing a proposed constitutional amendment that would ban it.

Constitutional amendments should be used to expand freedom, not restrict it, Coretta Scott King said Tuesday.

"Gay and lesbian people have families, and their families should have legal protection, whether by marriage or civil union," she said. "A constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriages is a form of gay bashing and it would do nothing at all to protect traditional marriages."

Last month, President Bush said he backed an amendment that would ban same-sex unions, calling marriage "the most fundamental institution of civilization."

On Monday, more than two dozen black pastors rallied against gay marriage at a church in Atlanta, attempting to distance the civil rights struggle from the gay rights movement. They signed a declaration outlining their beliefs that marriage should remain a union between a man and a woman.

"To equate a lifestyle choice to racism demeans the work of the entire civil rights movement," the statement said. "People are free in our nation to pursue relationships as they choose. To redefine marriage, however, to suit the preference of those choosing alternative lifestyles is wrong."

King, the widow of the slain civil rights leader, made her comments Tuesday during a speech at The Richard Stockton College of New Jersey.

>Because she has made many comments recently and reported in

>the Atlanta daily paper that are geneerally anti-gay and

>especially anti-gay marriage.

Many comments, huh? Any quotes to support this?

>Her daughter and son have

>been even more vocal

>about gays have no connection to the civil rights movement

>and that their father would have never approved of the gay

>lifestyle.

They may have said such things(I couldn't find any such remarks), but their mother is certainly not of the same mind.

>>Get in your car.

>>Drive to DC.

>>Go to a Black Pride event and ask.

>

>Wow, don't you KNOW IT ALL! :(

>

>I can WALK to DC, so no car required, but I have one and can

>drive, or better yet, walk 2 blocks and ride metro! I have

>been to Black Pride, several times, as my last bf was

>Afro-American, and I didn't have to ask anything! Only the

>Afro-American gays in DC INSIST on their own segregated gay

>pride events, while fully participating in the annual

>gay/bi/ts/tg events! That, imo, is the HEIGHT of exlusionary

>practices! :(

While it is true blacks do celebrate their own Gay Pride weekend, it is primarily because the other events basically ignored the blacks in their community.

Your other comments are wrong also by your own admission. You use words like "Exclusionary" and "Segregated" this would imply that non-blacks were discouraged to attend when you yourself say you attended these events. I too have atended the black gay pride events in many cities and I know for certain that anyone is welcome to participate in the celebration of Black gay pride.

Traditionally, Gay Prides across the nation basically ignore blacks from the planning to the outreach. All of the events are geared towards the white gay community in the predominantly white gay venues. If the Gay pride committees made a real effort to include blacks and hispanics in the planning phase and in the entertainment phase, then the need for black gay pride would not exist.

Your statement that Blacks insist on having their own pride celebration while fully attending the regular pride is like saying. "We don't need Gay oriented television shows like "Queer as Folk" and "Will and Grace" because we fully watch non-gay themed programs.

Archived