Sic transit Colin

AdamSmith
This topic is 6591 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Poor Colin Powell. Will he be remembered for tugging, however futilely, against Bush & Co.'s hard right rudder? Or will he be reviled by history for not stalking out in defense of his principles?

Powell: A dove among hawks

It was a remark at a party recounted in a magazine, but for all its apparent lack of substance it best seemed to sum up Colin Powell's position in the Bush administration. A foreign diplomat encountered the secretary of state on the eve of the Iraq war and recited a news report that the president was sleeping like a baby. Mr Powell reportedly replied: "I'm sleeping like a baby, too. Every two hours, I wake up, screaming."

A dove against the hawks, he was pitted against the defence secretary, Donald Rumsfeld, in the run-up to the Iraq war. He was sidelined when his attempt to build a UN coalition failed and saw the war go ahead regardless.

From that point, the Pentagon and the state department were on opposite sides of the major split in the first Bush administration. Mr Powell officially denied the rumours, insisting he believed the US had been right to use force in Iraq, but his disaffection was an open secret.

It was fanned by further off-the-cuff comments. The publication of BBC broadcaster James Naughtie's book on Tony Blair's relations with the Bush administration was trailed by the allegation that Mr Powell told Jack Straw that Washington neo-conservatives including Mr Rumsfeld, Dick Cheney and Paul Wolfowitz, Mr Rumsfeld's deputy, were "fucking crazies"...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1351934,00.html

And not to forget...

http://www.greatlakesscienceandnovelty.com/sitebuilder/images/webcolin-224x388.jpg

The Colin Powell Votive will help you find your way out of the life's many disappointments. Over 7000 minutes of pure prayer power for just $7.50 - that's over 9 minutes of prayer for a penny!

Suggested prayer on back of candle:

Oh, God.

What in Holy Fornication is

happening to me?

Please create a divine

diversion whilst I

slippeth out the side door.

Your friend, Colin.

Amen

http://www.greatlakesscienceandnovelty.com/ULTERIORVOTIVES.html

>According to Reuters, Condi Rice will probably get his job.

>As usual, Bush rewards incompetence with a promotion.

Especially when coupled with blind obedience.

Condoleezza Rice, a Sally Hemmings for the 21st Century

...At a recent dinner party hosted by New York Times D.C. bureau chief Philip Taubman and his wife, Times reporter Felicity Barringer, and attended by Arthur Sulzberger Jr., Maureen Dowd, Steven Weisman, and Elisabeth Bumiller, Rice was reportedly overheard saying, "As I was telling my husb..." and then stopping herself abruptly, before saying, "I was telling President Bush"...

http://www.culturekitchen.com/archives/000647.html

Or putting it another way (sorry, indulge me again)...

http://www.greatlakesscienceandnovelty.com/sitebuilder/images/webcondy-212x352.jpg

The Patron Saint of Toadies Votive will help you gain loyalty from your boss, no matter. Over 7000 minutes of pure prayer power for just $7.50 - that's over 9 minutes of prayer for a penny!

Suggested prayer on back of candle:

Oh Heavenly Renfield, Beloved

Festus, Igor to Victor,

Continueth to shill for the Anointed

One as he conquers the enemies

of God and shields us from our

own liberties.

In the name of all that is good

and wholly conservative, amen.

http://www.greatlakesscienceandnovelty.com/ULTERIORVOTIVES.html

"A dove against the hawks, he was pitted against the defence secretary, Donald Rumsfeld, in the run-up to the Iraq war. He was sidelined when his attempt to build a UN coalition failed and saw the war go ahead regardless."

He didn't lose just the decision on invading Iraq, he also saw his "Powell doctrine" of overwhelming force (and a clear-cut objective) superseded by Rummy's delusional notion that speed, flexibility and weaponry would mitigate the need for large numbers of troops. He might have supported the invasion more strongly if he had believed in the battle plan, and if it had an attainable objective.

Or maybe not. It's doubtful that he believes in the Bushwah doctrine of preemptive war. Most professional military are more reluctant to commit war than those who have not experienced it.

>According to Reuters, Condi Rice will probably get his job.

>As usual, Bush rewards incompetence with a promotion.

This is a prime example of why no one should take anything you say seriously. You're welcome to argue how her policies were incorrect or how her world view differs from yours, however, you cannot simply dismiss her by saying she's "incompetent". There is no question whatsoever that she IS competent. You just don't like what her competence wrought.

These broad-brushed, and silly, statements prove that you don't have the seriousness to discuss serious topics at an extremely serious time in our history.

Seriously yours,

FFF

Rice, failing upwards.

>There is no question whatsoever that she IS competent. You

>just don't like what her competence wrought.

Wow have you got it backwards. Between your avatar and this idiocy you've provided all the proof anybody could need that you're incapable of independent thought. Have you differed with a single neocon stance in the last 4 years?

I can't imagine a bigger string of failures for an NSA then Rice's. She is the one that kneecapped the anti-terrorism efforts of Richard Clark before 9-11. Her office was responsible for the lies in the infamous state of the union, and her apparent successor is most likely the POS that leaked that CIA asset's name to the press.

She's the one that pulled off the empty-headed bimbo bit with her incredulous 'who could have ever imagined'. Who could have ever imagined what, Condi, that something that was a primary concern at the last G8 conference you went to, something that was clipart on NSA paperwork, something that was clearly warned against could actually happen?

To answer your question, Condi, anybody qualified for your job. But you were an oil executive, and that's enough for Bush.

Personally, I lost a lot of respect I had for Sec. CP when I saw him stand behind the President through all the things he clearly disagreed with. His loyalty should have been more for his country than for one man. He lacked any spine and at the very least could have resigned much earlier. Instead he stood by and endorced everything that has happened in the this war.

It just goes to show you, being very bright doesn't make you right for every position.

Now Ms. Rice is down right scary. I do not know of anyone in this administration I am more concerned about than her. She is only going to make our lives even more difficult.

Am I the only person who thinks she is giving Bush BJ's in the White House???:*

>Personally, I lost a lot of respect I had for Sec. CP when I

>saw him stand behind the President through all the things he

>clearly disagreed with. His loyalty should have been more for

>his country than for one man. He lacked any spine and at the

>very least could have resigned much earlier. Instead he stood

>by and endorced everything that has happened in the this war.

I tend to agree. I don't think history will look very kindly on his putting up with the neocons, much less outright shilling for them on the trumped-up WMD evidence. He later said he wished he had vetted the data better.

The one bright spot:

http://i.neilrogers.com/news/media/stt041117.gif

>Now Ms. Rice is down right scary. I do not know of anyone in

>this administration I am more concerned about than her. She is

>only going to make our lives even more difficult.

Agreed.

http://toons.strana.de/d/jpg/condoleezza_rice_dog.jpg

>Am I the only person who thinks she is giving Bush BJ's in the

>White House???:*

No.

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/AP_Photo/2004/11/16/1100667514_0959.jpg

On the other hand, our born-again dry-drunk Chief Exec for some reason reminds me of one of Dan Aykroyd's Nixon impressions: "Sex! That never happened while I was in the White House."

Archived