Nationwide "Vote Swap" Campaign

OneFinger
This topic is 6603 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

According to the local NBC affiliate:

This year's elections, both national and local, have generated a lot of story-lines. Here's the latest: Wanna swap your vote? That's right, you and a voter in another state can arrange to trade your vote for president.

There are NO laws on the books prohibiting it. But whether it's ethically or morally wrong, that's up to the individual voter. Now, just to be up front here, if you are a George Bush supporter, you're NOT going to like this information at all!

There are a few certainties in life, death, taxes, and Utah will go Republican in the presidential election! Yep, we've been a "RED" state for years now, and will be again November 2nd. That bothers voters like Jared Richmond. He supports John Kerry, but feels like his vote will be wasted in Utah.

Jared Richmond: "AS AN AMERICAN I HOLD MY VOTE AS A REAL RIGHT. AND MY VOTE IN THE STATE OF UTAH DOESN'T COUNT."

So, he's going to "swap" his vote with someone in another state where the race is close! Sara Baldwin is doing the same thing. Sara, Jared and other voters have gone to this website, votepair.org, and signed up to trade their vote.

Sara Baldwin: "I RECEIVED AN E-MAIL CONFIRMING THAT I HAD A PARTNER IN PENNSYLVANIA."

Right now, polls show which states President Bush will win, in red, and those which John Kerry will most likely win, in blue. But, the so-called "swing states" where the races are close is where vote pairing comes into play. As Sara said, she's working to trade her Kerry vote for a Nader vote in Pennsylvania. Jared has heard from someone in New Mexico and several other states, and will do the same thing.

"PHILOSOPHICAL AND ETHICAL QUESTION, IS THIS CHEATING? NOT AT ALL. IT'S VERY PATRIOTIC. THIS IS PERFECTLY LEGAL, NO BINDING AGREEMENTS, NO MONEY INVOLVED."

Elections officials in Utah and other states say vote "pairing" is not addressed in current election laws, so technically the practice is legal. But, if this catches on, political experts will be paying attention. Jared Richmond and Sara Baldwin are confident this will catch on.

"I THINK IF I WERE TO JUST SAY, MY VOTE DOESN'T MATTER AND NOT VOTE, THAT WOULD HAVE GRAVE IMPLICATIONS FOR OUR DEMOCRACY. SO I THINK IT WILL HAVE A SIGNIFICANT IMPACT ON THE OUTCOME OF THIS ELECTION. I MEAN THAT SINCERELY."

This isn't the first election where people have traded their votes. 4 years ago, nearly 36,000 people swapped their presidential votes!

The website to participate is:

http://www.votepair.org/

Since all the Electoral College votes in Utah will go to the "Shrub", this is a great way to make my individual vote count!!

• 2 weeks later...

Got an e-mail yesterday and I've been paired with a Nader supporter in Michigan. They have promised to vote for Kerry if I promise to cast my Utah vote for Nader.

In Daddy's Poll, Rick Monroe stated: "...That means voting for Kerry if you're either in the Bluest of states, or the Redest of states. Every vote will count...it can help legitimize his presidency.

Franco followed up with his comment: "...I believe legitimacy will be a major issue in the future, irrespective of which candidate wins. Winning is not the only thing; governing is. The winner needs tangible evidence of a mandate but also needs to respect the reasons of those who did not vote for him as well as consider and even include their concerns, opinions, and even their participation in any future administration."

The train is leaving the station and there ain't much time left before I vote. I really think that vote swapping with someone in a swing state is more meaningful and effective than voting for Kerry just to increase the popular vote in a known-Bush state.

Can someone explain how vote swapping is "wrong" or convince me to not help in a swing state vote?

Archived