Who's in charge here?

Ignoto
This topic is 5805 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I remember going down to the basement of the White House the day we committed our troops as last resort, looking at Tommy Franks and the generals on the ground, asking them, "Do we have the right plan with the right troop level?"

And they looked me in the eye and said, "Yes, sir, Mr. President." Of course, I listen to our generals. That's what a president does. A president sets the strategy and relies upon good military people to execute that strategy.

* * * About 60 minutes later * * *

And in a war, there's a lot of -- there's a lot of tactical decisions that historians will look back and say: He shouldn't have done that. He shouldn't have made that decision. And I'll take responsibility for them. I'm human.

One of the really telling moments in tonight's debate was when Bush was questioned about three mistakes. The poor woman who asked that question should have known what Bush would say.....he would give her a litany of the things he believes he did right, but never admit to doing anything wrong. Bush is not only a delusional idiot, but a total asshole.

>Bush is not only a delusional idiot, but a total asshole.

To paraphrase George Carlin:

Bush is a little oil pimp. Here's someone who has combined Yale elitism and cowboy myth, and he's unauthentic in both roles. He's an empty suit.

>He's an empty suit.

No he's not. Remember .. it has a hidden radio receiver.

Meanwhile, the Washington Post reports:

Bush was skating close to the line when he said that he spoke to generals in the White House, asked if they had enough troops, and "they looked me in the eye and said, 'Yes, sir, Mr. President.' " In that 2002 White House meeting, Gen. Tommy R. Franks, whom Bush mentioned, said there were enough troops, but Gen. Eric K. Shinseki, the Army chief of staff, told the president there were not. Other senior members of the Joint Chiefs of Staff told Defense Secretary Donald H. Rumsfeld that they were concerned about troop levels.

• 2 years later...

Listen to the Generals?

ABC News' Martha Raddatz Reports: ABC News has learned that the president intends to nominate Admiral William J. Fallon to replace General John Abizaid at Central Command. The announcement is expected next week, before the president gives his Iraq strategy speech, according to US officials.

Officials also tell ABC that the replacement as MNF-I commander in Iraq (replacing Gen. George Casey) will be LTG David Petraeus. Though Casey was originally staying in position till June, he is expected to leave earlier than expected probably in the next few months.

“The president wants a clean sweep” an official told ABC News.

RE: Listen to the Generals?

So that's basicly like the owner of a football team saying.. the team has had a losing season... we'll replace the team but keep the coach...I just doesn't work that way. Bush had a bad idea, didn't work...

Hmmm...so by changing the command structure he's not "listening to the generals"? I recall another president who changed the entire comand structure of the military during a long drawn out war until he found one that was competent enough to fight the war the way he wanted. Many of his generals were taking a go slow approach and as Comander in Chief he just got fed up with it.

It took Mr. Lincoln several tries during the War Between the States, or that Late Unplesantness, otherwise also known as the Civil War, before he found a general by the name of Grant who was willing to fight an aggressive war against the Southern states. Even then Grant and Lincoln were criticized for taking too many casulaties. Wonder how things would be if Mr. Lincoln would have continued to "listen to his gnerals" or the press squawking for a quick end?

I think that part of the problem too, is politics...the military is given orders by policitians. It didn't work in two recent wars. The military wants to take a certain approach, and get the job done.....then the politicans get in there and tell them to not be so agressive...we know that happend before, and I am sure it is happening in this war too.

Archived