The Disappearing Flu Vaccine

Lucky
This topic is 6614 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Only two weeks ago Bush administration officials assured us that there would be no shortage of the flu vaccine despite contamination problems with one of the two suppliers. Now they are begging people who are not in a risk group to forego the vaccine so those that need it most can have it. Turns out one full half of the expected doses will not arrive due to the contamination problem.

What kind of health policy depends on begging people to voluntarily forego a vaccine?

Guest zipperzone

>What kind of health policy depends on begging people to

>voluntarily forego a vaccine?

The Bush-Cheney health policy - that's what kind!

Guest Merlin

RE: Republican Flu

The company which had been expected to supply half of the vaccine for the US was a British company, Chiron. The British government has prevented the sale because of apparent contamination. As I pointed on another thread, most of the vaccine companies have gone out of business because the government buys a large share of vaccines and negotiates (i.e.controls) the prices. The Congress was criticized for not allowing the government to negotiate the price of drugs as part of the Medicare bill. But the reason is that controlling prices dries up R&D expenditures and leads to shortages.

"But the reason is that controlling prices dries up R&D expenditures and leads to shortages"

So the US is dependent on foreign countries for its entire supply of flu vaccine because there is just not enough profit in it for those huge pharmaceutical companies whose prices are higher than in other countries as well.

I guess we get our drugs from Canada and our vaccines from France.

Vioxx anybody?

Guest zipperzone

>I guess we get our drugs from Canada and our vaccines from

>France.

Some members of this august message center would rather die than accept anything from Canada.

Guest Merlin

I hope you don't include me. I have nothing against Canada. A bit too liberal and cold for my taste, but they are our friend.

Guest ReturnOfS

I remember hearing on NPR the other day that although theres a shortage of the flu vaccine that you inject, theres a surplus of the flu vaccine that you inhale. Does anyone know about this? I wonder if there is enough of a surplus of the vaccine that you inhale to take up a significant amount of the slack from the injected vaccine.

I've never gotten a flu shot before any way. I'm not in the risk range. Perhaps I'll try the inhallant this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived