1 to 0, Kerry hits a home run.

SouthBeachBtm
This topic is 6634 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Without question, Kerry clearly defined his views and his true grit tonight in the first debate. Bush, who looked uncomfortable, lost and sometimes in pain seemed to only have one answer to the substanative charges Kerry lodged tonight and that was. "But your a Flip Flopper." It seemed Bush really didn't have any real responses to the damaging statements made By Kerry.

In contrast, Kerry was relaxed, confident and focussed. He cleared up the whole flip flop issue decidedly and demonstrated his knowledge of world afairs. Bush looked like an 8th grader pointing his finger chanting "You are a Flip Flopper, You are a Flip Flopper."

I am even more scared of the possibility that Bush might when after watching him tonight. He seemed petty and childish. There was nothing about him that was Presidential.

God Bless America and God Bless Kerry.

I agree. I think Kerry did an awesome job and was not very impressed by Bush. =o) Even my mother (who's a Republican and probably voting for Bush) had to admit that Kerry did a better job, and I think she's even rethinking her position (though I doubt she'll change her mind).

Guest rohale

This debate definitely helped Senator Kerry, without a shadow of a doubt. For the last few weeks, with all the negative tv ads aimed at his campaign. Not being able to respond in a proper way. Mr Kerry had more to gain from the first debate than President Bush did. For the first time Mr Kerry was able to reach a wide audience and explain his view points.

Now the interesting part is both candidates did a great job overall of solidifying their political bases. It's the independant undecided voters that will make up the difference at the ballot box. I noticed while channel surfing the various news outlets on cable. A good number of focus groups seemed to be more impressed with Kerry compared with Bush. At the same time a good number of them haven't made a solid decision as to whom they are planning on voting for come election day. Which means that the next two presidential debate are still very much in the playing cards as to the finality to this presidential election. We will find out over the next few weeks.

Rohale

Not a home run for Kerry (unfortunately) but a very good performance. I think he succeeded once and for all in establishing himself as a serious, thoughtful candidate and made it clear he is no kind of lightweight. He looked and sounded Presidential, and that will help him with the undecideds.

Bush (much as I despise him and his policies) didn't make a fool of himself, and that will satisfy his supporters. His on-stage demeanor didn't help him, but he was focused and kept to his message. The downside of that is that the message started to seem like a rote response and he couldn't really link his mantra about Kerry's "mixed messages" to anything Kerry was saying, so it sort of hung in the air. It wasn't helped by endless repetition. He also wasn't helped by the fact that Kerry struck a couple of good blows against Bush (without being nasty or vile) while Bush really didn't lay a glove on Kerry.

The results will take a while to sink in (see the polls in a few days) but I think Kerry definitely helped himself, and the election is still very much in contention. I'm sure that the poll margins in the swing states that have been leaning towards Bush will start to tighten up again following this debate.

A picture worth 1,000 words

I did not see any of the debate. I did see some late night recaps, but nothing of substance. I wish I had some way to download a picture which appeared on the front page of the Daily News here in Los Angeles today. I have checked their website and the picture is nowhere to be found (which is sad).

I should point out that most locals consider the Daily News to lean to the right (whereas the L.A. Times leans to the left).

Having said that, todays front page picture was a split screen of both men:

On the left, John Kerry looking engaged and very Presidential,

On the right, George Bush smirking and looking very bored.

It told me everything I needed to know about the content of the debate and how it went. Reading the numerous articles in both papers about the questions asked and the answers given did nothing to change this first impression provided by that picture.

RE: A picture worth 1,000 words

>>Doctored, from the Drudge website.

>

>I'll admit that I got from the Drudge Report but I didn't

>doctor it. Do you think they did and why? What did you see

>that indicates it's doctored (I'd like to know how to spot a

>fake).

>

Well, Kerry's ear sticking into Bush's forhead, for one...

RE: A picture worth 1,000 words

>I'll admit that I got from the Drudge Report but I didn't

>doctor it. Do you think they did and why? What did you see

>that indicates it's doctored (I'd like to know how to spot a

>fake).

I didn't mean to imply that it was you, not Drudge, who doctored it.

For one thing, look at the shadows on Kerry's collar and the shadows behind Bush's ear ... the light is coming from opposite directions.

Also, it would help if Kerry's left arm were not amputated.

RE: Meanwhile, Back at the Polls. . .

Newsweek has Kerry ahead by 3% and CNN's Gallup poll has a dead heat (49% for each candidate). Looks like the debate HAS had an effect on voters and it's a horse race again.

The Cheney-Edwards debate should be fascinating, because the two are better matched, intellectually. Cheney will try his steam-roller tactics, but Edwards is unbelievably sharp underneath that boyish exterior, and he's Southern. Let's hope he has that inimitable Southern gift of using his tongue to dice an opponent into chopped meat, while never losing his smile or his manners! Cheney may never know what hit him! }( In which case that should be worth another point or so for the Kerry/Edwards team.

The rest is Kerry's to lose. Bush had his best shot in the first debate, when he was supposedly leading from his strong suit of foreign policy and his resolute war on terrurrism and those evil moolahs. (So tell us, Dub, how much moolah does it take to get rid of a mullah?) The other debates are supposed to focus on domestic issues, and Dubya's record of magically transforming an historic surplus into record deficits for the sake of making his rich buddies richer and to feed a black hole called Iraq is going to be hard to defend. There may be considerably more whimpering and face-making by His Resoluteness in the next two debates!

Stay tuned. The fat lady doesn't even seem to have cleared her throat yet, let alone started to sing!!! :7

Archived