Kerry did NOT vote for Bush's war

Rick Munroe
This topic is 6646 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I took this from the Daily Kos, who took it from Al Franken's blog:

Here's what Bush said in 2002:

Q: Mr. President, how important is it that that resolution give you an authorization of the use of force?

BUSH: That will be part of the resolution, the authorization to use force. If you want to keep the peace, you've got to have the authorization to use force. But it's -- this will be -- this is a chance for Congress to indicate support. It's a chance for Congress to say, we support the administration's ability to keep the peace. That's what this is all about.

Okay, once again:

BUSH: It's a chance for Congress to say, we support the administration's ability to keep the peace. That's what this is all about.

Remember? Bush said he wanted the authorization to use force so that he'd have a strong bargaining chip at the United Nations--and that the U.N. would get new inspectors in, and that, maybe, this would lead to Saddam disarming without a war.

That's why Kerry voted for the resolution. As he said at the time:

"Let me be clear, the vote I will give to the President is for one reason and one reason only: To disarm Iraq of weapons of mass destruction, if we cannot accomplish that objective through new, tough weapons inspections in joint concert with our allies."

And we did get new, tough weapons inspections in joint concert with our allies. And then Bush blew it by invading anyway.

It wasn't just possible to support the resolution without supporting Bush's war--avoiding war was the specific reason Bush gave to support the resolution. There's nothing incoherent about Kerry's position. Bush blew it. The resolution had the effect (getting inspectors back in) that Kerry had intended. He was right. W was wrong.

(Oh, and when Bush's spokesman says "John Kerry voted for the war"--it's a lie.)

This whole "flip flop" mess seems vastly misguided when Kerry's "war vote" is seen in the proper light, doesn't it? (end of quote)

I was watching the Late Show With David Letterman this past Monday Night. The first guest was none other than Senator John Kerry. He seemed relaxed and he was poignant in his beliefs. As expected he was crtical of the Bush Administration. He finally laid his current stance on Iraq.

I did find one thing intersting about John Kerry now that I never noticed before. He seems a lot more confident that he feels the election is still up for grabs. He really seemed relaxes. As expected, he had some harsh words about the Bush Administration. The audience seemed to be responsive. He's finally stretching himself out a bit by making television appearances. I understand he will be on Doctor Phil next week. Perhaps an appearance on Oprah by mid-October with Mrs Kerry. I hope Senator John Edwards is utilised in the same way. The Kerry Campaign are finally learning the medium of television and showing a more gentler image of their candidate. We'll see if this strategy works by election day.

Rohale

Archived