Bush is a major flip-flopper

Rick Munroe
This topic is 6656 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

From the Associated Press today:

In 2000, Bush argued against new military entanglements and nation building. He's done both in Iraq.

He opposed a Homeland Security Department, then embraced it.

He opposed creation of an independent Sept. 11 commission, then supported it. He first refused to speak to its members, then agreed only if Vice President Dick Cheney came with him.

Bush argued for free trade, then imposed three-year tariffs on steel imports in 2002, only to withdraw them after 21 months.

Last month, he said he doubted the war on terror could be won, then reversed himself to say it could and would.

A week after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, Bush said he wanted Osama bin Laden "dead or alive." But he told reporters six months later, "I truly am not that concerned about him." He did not mention bin Laden in his hour-long convention acceptance speech.

"I'm a war president," Bush told NBC's "Meet the Press" on Feb. 8. But in a July 20 speech in Iowa, he said: "Nobody wants to be the war president. I want to be the peace president."

Bush keeps revising his Iraq war rationale: The need to seize Saddam Hussein's weapons of mass destruction until none were found; liberating the Iraqi people from a brutal dictator; fighting terrorists in Iraq not at home; spreading democracy throughout the Middle East. Now it's a safer America and a safer world.

"No matter how many times Senator Kerry flip-flops, we were right to make America safer by removing Saddam Hussein from power," he said last week in Missouri.

Bush has changed his positions on new Clean Air Act restrictions, protecting the Social Security surplus, tobacco subsidies, the level of assistance to help combat AIDs in Africa, campaign finance overhaul and whether to negotiate with North Korean officials.

Rick, you're absolutely correct. The LA times has something similar to what you pointed out. The problem is with the Kerry Campaign, so far they are not publically pointing out Mr Bush and his flip flopping. I wish I knew why they're not running ads in battle ground states where the polls constantly point indicate that this election is too close to call. Joe Lockhart is a really good communications director for the Kerry Campaign. They need to give him some political ammunition to get the medias attention on George W. Bush changes of stance on various political issues so critical to this election.

At the end of the day, the buck stops at John Kerrys desk, the messenger needs to sell the message and so far he has done a terrible job. In almost every key demographic, the Bush campaign have made a comeback and virtually leveled the playing field. To add insult injury, they are constantly casting doubts as the character of John Kerry. How does John Kerry respond, well he doesn't. He thinks people will see through the smoke and mirrors of the Bush Campaign. If the candidate cannot sell the message, then there is very little chance of Senator Kerry pointing out to the Bush flip flops. In the process selling them as an overall package that Mr Bush continues to mislead and is unfit to be this nation's commander in chief.

At the end of the day, I blame the messenger in the form of Senator John Kerry.

Rohale

Archived