First Keyes, Now Miller

Ignoto
This topic is 6663 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

After gauging the harsh reaction from Democrats and Republicans alike to Sen. Zell Miller's keynote address at the Republican National Convention, the Bush campaign - led by the first lady - backed away Thursday from Miller's savage attack on Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry, insisting that the estranged Democrat was speaking only for himself.

Late Thursday, Miller's name was removed from the list of dignitaries who would be sitting in the first family's box during the president's acceptance speech later in the evening. No explanation was immediately offered, but the change was made only a few hours after Laura Bush, asked about Miller's deeply personal denunciation of his own party's nominee, said in an interview with NBC News that "I don't know that we share that point of view."

Aides to President Bush and his campaign said Miller was not speaking for all Republicans.

This just backs up what Bush apologists have been saying all along: How can you vote against a guy and a party when they keep condemning their strongest supporters?

Compare Laura Bush's statement with the one made by a Bush campaign spokesman, about Alan Keyes bashing Dick Cheney's daughter: "It was inappropriate." The First Lady doesn't mince words -- kool !

Some days I'm just embarrassed to be a registered Democrat. I mean, when was the last time our party backed off from a keynote speaker, before the Convention ended?

>Some days I'm just embarrassed to be a registered Democrat. I

>mean, when was the last time our party backed off from a

>keynote speaker, before the Convention ended?

Good question.. when was the last time an over the top, personal, radical attack differed enough from the rest of the democrats that they HAD to back off from him?

Well I think ole Zell got himself used bigtime.

The Replicans wanted a fire and brimstone speech like the one that Zell gave. But they cleverly got to distance themselves from it all at the same time. They gave the red meat to thier partisans and thier base that wanted it, but at the same time they got to say well after all Zell is a Democrat, and Zell speaks his mind and no Republican gave this speech. etc., etc., blah blah blah.

Zell was used by them, and he was made a fool of on every level. He abandoned the Democrats, but he didn't convert and become a Republican. No one ever trusts a traitor again. He is retiring, so it doesn't matter for him personally. He will probably get a job with a drug company or some right wing "think" tank.

Zell never mentioned that Dick Cheney also voted against the litany of Cold War weapons systems that Kerry voted against. And how dare Zell Miller trash a peace maker like Jimmy Carter. Carter may not have been an effective president, but he was probably the last president that we had with any moral fiber at all. He negotiated the Camp David Accords and he has worked for peace throughout the world ever since he left office. He has championed Habitat for Humanity at home and fair elections throughout the world. Shame on Zell Miller.

Oh, and by the way, I do realize that the Zell Miller speech worked for the Rovians, and they got what they wanted from it. They can now toss Zell aside like a used tissue(or used toilet paper, which a more apt metaphor).

Zapano, Stromboli, Rove

Has someone like Karl Rove been so well known in administrations before this, or am I paying more attention as I've gotten older and less concerned with my jumpshot? He seems to be able to manipulate so many things in so many places (wasn't the redistricting in Co and Tx his brainchild? ) Much more so than I would expect someone with his job to be able to do, though I certainly don't think he would/should be powerless.

I keep having this vision of George Bush getting reelected, getting rid of Rove somehow and dancing about gleefully shouting "I'm a REAL president!"

Gio in Denver

"I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

RE: Zapano, Stromboli, Rove

>Has someone like Karl Rove been so well known in

>administrations before this, or am I paying more attention as

>I've gotten older and less concerned with my jumpshot?

Check out Louis Howe, political adviser and live-in personal secretary to FDR at the White House during his first term -- and a special friend of Eleanor Roosevelt. Care to venture a guess about his sexuality?

>>After watching their son battle a series of illnesses and accidents, the Howes thought Louis could not handle the roughness of public school and enrolled him instead in the Temple Grove Seminary for young women in Saratoga Springs, New York. <<

http://www.nps.gov/elro/glossary/howe-louis.htm

Archived