Ron Reagan's Speech at DNC

OneFinger
This topic is 6702 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I found his speech to be subdued, to-the-point, and generally non-political. He began by stating,

"..Let me assure you, I am not here to make a political speech, and the topic at hand should not -- must not -- have anything to do with partisanship."

He then gave a very moving speech on the need for stem cell research. His closing remarks summarize the gravity of our decision in November.

"...In a few months, we will face a choice. Yes, between two candidates and two parties, but more than that. We have a chance to take a giant stride forward for the good of all humanity. We can choose between the future and the past, between reason and ignorance, between true compassion and mere ideology. This is our moment, and we must not falter."

In contrast, Michael Reagan slams brother Ron by saying, "...he's 'being used' by the Dem Party." Michael charges brother Ron did not attend USS Ronald Reagan homecoming because he is a "liberal" who does not believe in it and because it is a "weapon of mass destruction". He says Nancy approves of Ron's speech at the Dem convention because "he's her favorite".

This very much reminds me of Clinton's words last night when he generally stated that Republicans must have division and Democrats don't.

Boy, this Reagan deal sure brings home that point. :(

Looking past the obvious:

He is the son of the most beloved Republican president, and was speaking at a Democratic convention.

I thought he gave a very enlightening explanation of the real truth behind stem cell research and clearly drew the line between someone who takes a position of moral opposition on stem cell, but not in vitro fertilization, and calling that for what it is; moral hypocrisy.

His speech was a well modulated appeal for a realistic approach to research. He gets high marks from me.

Archived