GOP up to more dirty tricks in Florida

BewareofNick
This topic is 6697 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Paging Katherine Harris....

New Citizens Say GOP Took Away Their Right To Choose

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Dario Cruz has lived in the United States for 16 years, but just became a citizen last week as he and about 200 other immigrants were naturalized.

Dario CruzDario Cruz takes citizenship oath at the University of North Florida last week./2004/0706/3496070.jpgDario CruzOne of the things he had always wanted to was register to vote, but when he was offered the chance to do that right outside the ceremony, he knew something wasn't right -- the place on the form where you're asked to choose Democrat, Republican or independent was already filled out.

"It's like one side," Cruz said. "You don't get to choose."

According to Cruz and his family, every form was checked off Republican.

It was something his wife, Linda Cross, first noticed. She said she asked what was going on, and was told the woman registering voters said they were with a Republican organization.

"I am Republican," she told Channel 4's Jim Piggott. "I was very angry with that if they want to register whatever party, you shouldn't try to dictate to people what party they are going to register; who they are going to vote for, because then you don't have any freedom."

The couple left without registering, but they did tell local Democratic Party officials what happened.

"These new citizens that were coming out and maybe did not know much of what was going on were all registering Republican," Cross said. "Not by choice, but by someone else's choice."

Clyde Collins, who runs the local Democratic Party, says this practice is not right, and as informed federal officials about the incident. They told him an investigation is underway.

"First of all, it violates your fundamental right," Collins said. "You have right to decide which political party you wish to enroll."

Collins says those who were sworn in last week will be contacted and told they have the right to register for the party of their choice.

For Cruz, that is what's important.

"I think you should be able to choose who you want to vote for," he said.

For the record, any registered voter can vote for any candidate of any party in a general election, but in most primaries in Florida, people can only vote for candidates of their own party.

Channel 4 has tried contracting federal officials about this issue since last Friday and have not received a response, nor have local Republican leaders responded. Folio Weekly will have more on this story in this week's paper.

Copyright 2004 by News4Jax.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.news4jax.com/politics/3495828/detail.html

Guest Merlin

Theusual place to register is at the court house. The Republicans appeared after the ceremony to help who wanted to vote Republican, but they obviously were not there to help Democrats.

Guest ReturnOfS

I have helped out with voter registration drives, and never have we had forms pre-filled out in anyway. Merlin writes about this as though it were matter of fact. To me this is something that is unheard of. Maybe I'm just in the dark or something. Has anyone here ever participated in a voter registration drive where the form was pre-filled out in any sort of way? This is an honest question.

>I have helped out with voter registration drives, and never

>have we had forms pre-filled out in anyway. Merlin writes

>about this as though it were matter of fact. To me this is

>something that is unheard of. Maybe I'm just in the dark or

>something. Has anyone here ever participated in a voter

>registration drive where the form was pre-filled out in any

>sort of way? This is an honest question.

merlin is a typical Stepford Repiglican who is unable to do anything but quote the Rove/Cheney/Hannity/Rxush Party Line.

It is exactly what it was stated in the title to the article: a dirty trick. the Repigs cannot win this election honestly, just like they couldn't in 2000 (where Katherine Harris illegally disenfranchised tens of thousands of "felons" (aka African-Americans)), so they resort to this type of underhanded tactic to take advantage of new citizens who may not be familiar with the process or teh language.

merlin is simply following this Repiglican directive: All repiglicans lie all the time about everything.

Archived