A love affair

Boston Guy
This topic is 6744 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've already posted here that I disagreed with many of Ronald Reagan's policies. But I always admired the way that he and Tip O'Neill and other politicians of their day could disagree, even over substantive issues of great importance, and then, at the end of the day, have a friendly drink and enjoy each other's company. The fact that they were political rivals didn't mean that they couldn't respect each other as men of integrity and good intentions.

I also admired Reagan's ability to clearly take great joy from his marriage. He and Nancy maintained a love affair until he couldn't understand any more and then Nancy kept the light burning for more years, all on her own.

Watching her during the past few days, I am struck by the quiet dignity and elegance she has portrayed, all the while clearly devastated. I respect greatly the strength and loyalty she has shown over the very difficult past ten years. There were times during the Reagan presidency when people thought she was interested only in fashion but, when times got tough, she showed just how tough she could be.

Eighty-three years old and still passionately in love. Would that all of us could do so well.

In her remaining years, I hope she is able to find some peace and happiness.

BG

>Eighty-three years old and still passionately in love. Would

>that all of us could do so well.

From your mouth to God's ear!

I was amazed (but not at all surprised) that she walked from the ellipse to the Capitol with the procession. That's quite a hike for an 80-year-old woman. (It's quite a hike for a teenager!)

She's standing by her man, at all costs. And that's a huge measure of the relationship and all involved.

I worked in/around the White House during the Reagan years. I've seen them "off camera" and was always amazed how the two of them made a whole.

Yeah, I'd like to find a love in my life like that. Few of us will. It just isn't common. They had something rare.

The Stepford Wife

Let's move this discussion to where it belongs -- The Fetish Forum, where we can talk about astrology and other Nancy obsessions.

She played most of her roles well; that's why the guy only married actresses. But how did Nancy play the role of mother? Her daughter Patty wrote a scathing book in which she described Nancy as an impossibly overbearing mother addicted to prescription medication.

Hey, that gives me an idea -- let's give Nancy a radio talk show.

RE: The Stepford Wife

All of us have our foibles and weaknesses. Nancy Reagan is not alone there. But any 83-year old woman who has just lost her husband after a 10-year battle with Alzheimers, during which she steadfastly supported and cared for him, deserves our respect and compassion.

Too bad you can't bring yourself to extend that basic human kindness.

BG

> But any 83-year old woman who has just lost

>her husband after a 10-year battle with Alzheimers, during

>which she steadfastly supported and cared for him, deserves

>our respect and compassion.

>Too bad you can't bring yourself to extend that basic human

>kindness.

I paid my taxes, I get to comment on the care that it bought, allowing his wife to leave home and continue her political agenda. While I agree with her lobbying against the reactionaries who oppose stem-cell research, I wouldn't insult the millions of caregivers who actually have to do it themselves, by implying that she participated in her husband's care. The $2 million he made from a couple short speeches in Japan were enough to fund whatever part of the round-the-clock nursing staff that the government did not provide.

Of course you have the freedom to express whatever views you choose to hold. How you choose to do that is up to you. Most of us, I suspect, choose to express compassion when seeing someone at a time of great grief. But that's up to you.

Regarding Reagan's care, however, all reports have indicated that Nancy Reagan was heavily, personally involved in his care for virtually his entire sickness. Rather than "leaving home and continuing her political agenda", she evidently left home only infrequently and, while at home, cared for her husband, even to the extent of having many meals at his bedside, even after he could no longer understand that she was there.

BG

Guest alanm

The Reagans had a wonderful marriage, but so do the Carter. Despite

LBJ's wanderings, the Johnsons had a spectacular marriage. At 91 and frail, Lady Bird Johnson is still keeping the former president's memory alive. The Carters and Johnsons may have had different types of marriages than the Reagans, but I do not doubt the love was equal in all three.

As a Democrat, I wish Reagan had shown the same concern for racial minorities and the poor that Carter and particularly LBJ demonstrated.

But, that is a subject for another day.

Guest alanm

The only part of the continuous Reagan TV coverage that I watched was the burial ceremony last night. After I finally found a network than just showed the ceremomny WITHOUT endless commentary I found it all more moving than I ever expected. The most touching minutes were Nancy Reagan's final goodbye at the casket where she finally broke down. How can you not have sympathy for such a frail, sad woman who seems so lost and alone, in front of millions of people. Ron, jr.'s and Patti's comments were fine. Michael appears to be trying way too hard to be part of a family that just will not accept him.

By the way, what was Scott Baio doing at the burial? Was he the only

straight celeb there?

Scott Baio is straight? Who knew?

Don't let that frail old lady fool you. She was pooped, sure. Emotionally exhausted, absolutely, and I'm AMAZED at what that woman went through this week, physically alone!

But that woman, who I admire greatly, is one FABULOUS Steel Magnolia. Piss her off and she'll wipe the floor with you.

I see one of two things happening. 1) She'll pass away soon to be with the love of her life (and I've seen this before with couples who truly are couples) or 2) She'll get some rest and become one fierce fundraising bitch for Alzheimers charities.

Knowing her, it'll be the latter. The former still wouldn't surprise me.

That's one indomitable woman.

Remember, this is a woman who weathered whithering press reports about her designer gowns by showing up at the Washington Press Corps' annual banquet dressed in hand-me-downs and sang "Second Hand Rose".

Guest MrDick

>>I was amazed (but not at all surprised) that she walked from the ellipse to the Capitol with the procession. That's quite a hike for an 80-year-old woman. (It's quite a hike for a teenager!)<<

Just to set the record (excuse the expression)straight, Nancy and the rest of the family followed the caison in a car from the Elipse to the Capitol (at least they were at 6th and Constitution when they passed me).

>Just to set the record (excuse the expression)straight, Nancy

>and the rest of the family followed the caison in a car from

>the Elipse to the Capitol (at least they were at 6th and

>Constitution when they passed me).

That actually makes sense. She was out of the car long enough for the cameras to catch her waiving to the crowd. Media savvy as always!

Very much in the spirit of her husband's time in office. He used to do the same thing, driving the Secret Service nuts when he'd slow a motorcade and hop out to walk and work the crowd.

What about Gerry Ford and Betty. I assume that they have had a pretty good marriage, despite her ups and downs. I was impressed with his public appearances last week for a guy over 90 and she seemed terrific too. Despite tha fact he was an unelected President, I thought he and his wife were just what the White House needed after Nixon, a normal family with some hunky sons helling around town!! They must have driven the Secret Service nuts }(

Guest alanm

I could be wrong about Scott Baio, just assumed because he dated women like Pamela Anderson and Heater Locklear who do not seem to fall into the beard category.

Lyndon Johnson's funeral was on C-Span yesterday in the early evening.

It was much less regal, with only Mamie Eisenhower and President Nixon and his wife Pat present. There were no living former presidents in January, 1973 with Truman dying a month before.

The big difference was the contrast between LadyBird Johnson and NancyReagan. Mrs Johnson was only 59 (and looked younger). After the funeral, Lady Bird made it a point to talk to people on both sides of the aisle as she walked out of the cathedral. LBJ had been ill with heart disease for several years before his death and she had apparently come to terms with her fate. It does not mean that Lady Bird loves her husband less than Nancy Reagan.

Deej, I am surprised at your devotion to Nancy Reagan, but that's my political self speculating.

Guest gentle guy

Making peace

I've refrained from commenting on anything, because my extreme animosity toward the Reagan legacy is somewhat tempered by my own experiences dealing with loved ones with Alzheimer's and my respect for those in mourning. I, too, watched most of the commentary-less California ceremony, in part because I felt as though I needed to make some sort of peace with a man I did not like in life.

I was touched by the grief of the mourners, and I was surprised by some of the celebrities. I can understand Tom Selleck, Bo Derek, and Scott Hamilton, and even Wayne Gretzky (whose wife Janet looked devastated), but I also could not understand why Scott Baio was there! (I thought he was straight because he is supposed to be a permanent fixture at the Playboy mansion.) Does he have some conservative political connection?

I was also struck by the large number of apparently Catholic mourners (assumed of those who made the sign-of-the-cross at the casket), since Reagan was the very Protestant president of a Protestant nation. I was confused, though, by Arnold Schwarzenegger; I thought he was Roman Catholic, but I believe he crossed himself in the Eastern (right-to-left) fashion.

Regardless, life goes on. "Our revels now are ended..."

Betty Ford was my FAVORITE first lady!

You do KNOW that Jack Ford was gay, don't you? LOL, I used to see him in the gay bars in DC with all the "str8" SS guys dancing with each other on the dance floor, in order to keep an "eye" on Jack! :7

> How can you not have

>sympathy for such a frail, sad woman who seems so lost and

>alone, in front of millions of people.

Actually, that's the way I feel about George H. W. Bush. So frail at 80, and none of his family wants to jump out of airplanes with him. I bet he regrets that he didn't invite Nancy.

> How can you not have

>sympathy for such a frail, sad woman who seems so lost and

>alone, in front of millions of people.

Actually, that's the way I feel about George H. W. Bush. So frail at 80, and none of his family wants to jump out of airplanes with him. I bet he regrets that he didn't invite Nancy.

RE: Making peace

> I also could not

>understand why Scott Baio was there! (I thought he was

>straight because he is supposed to be a permanent fixture at

>the Playboy mansion.) Does he have some conservative

>political connection?

George magazine did a profile of him a few years ago that included his background as a Young Republican back in the Reagan era (before he was a washed-up middle-aged funeral-goer).

Guest alanm

Interesting since during the Reagan era Scott played an extremely gay friendly character in a HBO special. His best high school pal turns out to be gay and Baio's character gives up everything, including his girl friend and jock reputation to stand by him.

Scott also did a brief nude scene in a movie called "I Love NY."

And then there are the Playboy Mansion and Pamela Anderson stories.

If Scott Baio is a Republican, he's acted in some interesting projects and screwed some hot women -- all reason why we surprises to see him at reagan's funeral.

>If Scott Baio is a Republican, he's acted in some interesting

>projects and screwed some hot women -- all reason why we

>surprises to see him at reagan's funeral.

If Arnold Schwarzenegger is a Republican (not a closet Kennedy Democrat) he's groped some hot women while posing nude for Mapplethorpe. Were you just as surprised to see him there?

Guest gentle guy

>Interesting since during the Reagan era Scott played an

>extremely gay friendly character in a HBO special. His best

>high school pal turns out to be gay and Baio's character gives

>up everything, including his girl friend and jock reputation

>to stand by him.

That movie was "The Truth About Alex."

(Thanks, Ignoto, for answering my question. I never realized that Scott had been a Young Republican.)

Archived