Will Kennedy hurt or help Kerry?

KY_TOP
This topic is 6803 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It seems you can't turn on a TV news show lately without Sen Ted Kennedy's face on there bashing Bush and praising Kerry. Do you really think that Kennedy is an asset to Kerry's Cause or will it hurt him? Kennedy is not thought of well by many around the country and he is considered to be the Extreme Left. If it is a negative to be branded a Liberal, then Kennedy is not going to help Kerry in many parts of the country. I am not sure a Liberal (although I think we need one right now) can be elected President. Even though I like some of Kennedy's positions, I personally think that Kerry needs to put someone else's face in front to help his cause.

Just curious as to what others might think.

>Wouldn't Kennedy be bashing Bush and supporting whoever the

>Democratic nominee was anyway?

Yes, but he is coming across as a spokesperson for Kerry and uses "we" sometimes in explaining positions. I just think it will help Bush "brand" him and Kennedy doesn't play well in the Midwest or South.

Guest coololdguy

Most presidential candidates shift back to the center after being nominated because they must appeal to swing voters (blue colar Democrats, Independents and open minded Republicans) as this group decides all close presidential elections. The two candidates in recent history who remained on the fringe are Barry Goldwater (conservative) and George McGovern (liberal). Neither shifted from their base and both only carried one state.

Kennedy is despised by many middle aged and older voters partially because of his liberalism but mostly because of Chappaquiddick. Older folks, including older swing voters, vote in larger numbers than any other age group and in states like Ohio, Florida and Missouri an association with Kennedy is the kiss of death. If Kennedy becomes Kerry's spokesman the election is over ... but do not fear because the big whigs in the Democratic party know it. Clinton avoided Kennedy as if he had the plague and I suspect Kerry will do the same.

Gotta keep hope alive in the south...

The electoral demographics wouldn't add up. You don't counter the perception you're a Massachusetts Liberal by putting the epitome of one second on the ticket. Or letting him speak for you for that matter, IMHO. That interview I saw he kept getting caught in his own inconsistencies.

I think it has to be John Edwards. Or some other strong southerner like Wes Clark, or I'd love to see Ann Richards or Max Cleland, both of whom have a score to settle with Rove.

RE: Potential VPs

At my recent neighborhood caucus for Democrats there was a rather heated discussion about potential VP nominations. I personally think Edwards will be the bridesmaid. I agree with others in this thread that it makes no sense for Kennedy to even be considered.

However, at our caucus, we had county/state officials there that claimed Hillary will run on the ticket. I personally don't see her taking a second seat but they insisted those negotiations are on-going. They also said that Bush would dump Cheney over health concerns and Rice would be on the Bush ticket.

So, anyone believe it will be Kerry/Clinton and Bush/Rice in November?

I really doubt Ted Kennedy would would be Kerry's VP. Kerry is fighting the label of "Northeast Liberal." Ted Kennedy would worsen, not help, that situation.

I've been a Kennedy finatic for a long time and just finished a book about the Kennedy wives. From that book, and other things I've read, Ted Kennedy is a very good senator and is very well liked in Massachusetts. But, he doesn't play well on a National stage. Kennedy's strength is as a senator, not a President or Vice President.

All that being said, I do think that he'll do everything he can to help Kerry as a cheerleader and help Kerry win the nomination. But, I can't see him being a VP nominee.

RE: Potential VPs

>So, anyone believe it will be Kerry/Clinton and Bush/Rice in

>November?

Not for a minute. I think Richard Clarke and the stream of stuff still leaking out, all the great photos of her angry and cross, the simple fact that she's obviously under qualified and has done a poor job will do in Rice. If things keep building with Clarke I wouldn’t be that surprised to see her forced to resign. She seems to be the one that grabbed his cabinet-level authority away... And while they don't play to it publicly, George's masters know a black woman would be a hard sell to their base.

This would be the time for them to bring in somebody like McCain, too bad for them what George's masters did to him in the 2000 primary! If he'd switch to our ticket though, damn, that'd be something to see. I don't think there will be any change on their side, they're already running the Bush/Halliburton 2004 campaign...

As for Billary, I just don't think it'd be helpful. The right, and much of the middle, have a passionate 'dislike' for her, including many women. I think at best she'd contribute little but re-energize the right. She also wouldn't add anything in the south.

So I guess we'll see, but I don't think these predictions are worth any more then our 'Democratic party officials' have been...

Ted Kennedy was always the driving force "Godfather" behind Kerry from the very first of the primaries, so I don't see why people are surprised to see him stumping for Kerry now.

I think Kennedy will help Kerry's candidacy, as he one of the senior doyens of the Democratic party and will be able to bring in the big bucks, political power, not to mention questionable under the table deals to help get Kerry elected.

No way, imo, would Kennedy give up his position of power to be a do nothing vice-president. What would he have to gain at this stage in his life, as he is in his 70's? Plus two liberal Yankees on the same ticket - KISS OF DEATH!

Guest Merlin

Kennedy will hurt Kerry if he keeps in the public eye. He always comes across a being angry all the time, and full of hatred for Republicans. That doesn't help win over the swing voters. I continue to think Edwards will be the VP nominee, but if Kerry goes down in the polls, Hillary will be under a lot of pressure to rescue the ticket, and may find it hard to refuse. Dick Morris who knows the Clintons well personally has been predicting that she would be the nominee not on the basis of inside knowledge, but knowing how they think. I agree that Cheney will announce the he will not be a candidate because he wants to be with his family etc. I predict Rudy Guiliani as the Republican VP. Rice would be too controversial at this point.

I can't imagine Ted Kennedy being interested in the VP slot. I think Hillary would be disastrous, not because she wouldn't be effective, but because she is just the kind of raw meat the Republican ideologues love to hate. All my republican friends are obsessed with hating her. I think Edwards or Clark or Cleland or someone of that sort are much more likely possibilities.

Archived