George Santos

Whoever would've thought it would only take a couple of years to find a politician that lied more than Trump?

BTW, Santos was brought to mind by the movie threads started tonight... he and his sister are now living across the street from the former theater (now a church) where I was cursed to see both Grease and Close Encounters of the Worst Kind.  I recognized the building from the adjacent Popeye's Chicken in the pics I saw of him moving in.

(Gay) Rep Richie Torres of the Bronx introduced legislation called 

The SANTOS Act, which stands for Stop Another Non Truthful Office Seeker.

If the bill is passed, it would require candidates to disclose in writing and under oath, their employment, educational and military history.

Torres says he believes candidates should have a legal obligation to tell the truth - something he says Santos has not done about every aspect of his life.

"His family heritage, his educational background, his employment, even his connection to historical events like the Holocaust and the Pulse Club mass shooting," Torres said.

Thoughts/feelings about Santos?

51 minutes ago, samhexum said:

Whoever would've thought it would only take a couple of years to find a politician that lied more than Trump?

Thanks for the laugh!  Joe Biden, as an excellent example readily at hand, is a lifelong serial liar.  His lying is OK …. It’s not too much.  For Santos however, it is too much.    A Democrat can lie all he wants.  A Republican has to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth in all his public utterances. 

Lying is the bedrock of Democrat politics.  They shouldn't throw stones.   Cherokee, Elizabeth Warren; battle hero, Richard Blumenthal; Biden graduated tops in his class, had 3 degrees, was accepted at the Navel Academy, was kidnapped with Nelson Mandela, the corn pop thing, was raised by Hispanics, 10% for the big guy etc etc.  ALL lies, but all good. But wait a Republican told some lies?   Like Harry Reid said about lying on the Senate floor claiming Romney didn't pay any taxes. 'It worked didn't it." When Adam Schiff and Eric Swalwell resign then I'll take democrat's moral indignation seriously.

Santos also admitted that he was a coal miner from Scranton, was first in his class at Harvard, beat up all the bad guys in Delaware, went to Oxford, excelled in Law school, helped his wife get her MD, is half Puerto Rican, made all his money as a hard-working legislator, rides the train, never speaks to his family about business, and has all his marbles. 

Funny to see the party of Jussie Smollet, Hunter Biden, the Clinton's, Adam "more than circumstantial" Schiff, Dr. Blasey-Fraud and Elizabeth Warren acting so outraged.  

If he votes against the Democrats, I don't care if he has three heads and thinks the earth is flat. The destroyers in this country are the Democrats, not some insecure mope who thinks he had to lie to get elected.  Why should he fall on his sword for some theoretical virtue, which the other side adduces not out of moral concern but because it suits their interests?  The dems are completely and utterly corrupt!!  It is plain for all to see after the Russian Collusion Hoax,  the Dr. Christine Blasey Ford BS and many other outlandish lies.  What gall the dems have!

I don’t condone any dishonesty and take no solace that this is yet another instance of a politician making stuff up.  But, the fact that someone thinks legislation is needed to mandate something that is readily verifiable in the public domain seems silly.   Where was the press - the self proclaimed “guardians of democracy” - through all of this?   

15 minutes ago, BnaC said:

the fact that someone thinks legislation is needed to mandate something that is readily verifiable in the public domain seems silly.

I think the point is that the threat of a perjury charge might dissuade such behavior in the future, or at least provide a legal avenue to punish people who'd lie under oath anyway.

1 hour ago, samhexum said:

I think the point is that the threat of a perjury charge might dissuade such behavior in the future, or at least provide a legal avenue to punish people who'd lie under oath anyway.

I understand completely.  Of course, there’s no potential abuse that might result from weaponizing these disclosures, right?   Frankly, right now, the “Code of Official Conduct” for the house gives ample basis for censure if the politicians have the gumption to pursue it…but liars don’t tend to sanction liars.   

Edited to add:  I guess this just shows how gullible and undiscerning NY voters are…but then, they already proved that with a number of previous elected liars on both sides of the aisle.   Maybe we should just keep it simple and ask candidates to follow the Ten Commandments 😆

Edited by BnaC

What baffles me about the George Santos case is how his Dem opponent failed to dig up all his lies during the campaign.  A college intern with a smartphone could have discovered 90% of Santos's lies in one afternoon.

The proposed legislation strikes me as a silly and unnecessary knee-jerk reaction.  The opponent's staff should be able to vet any candidate's resume, and after the Santos debacle, I'm sure every future political candidate will dedicate a crack team to opposition research.

7 hours ago, samhexum said:

BTW, Santos was brought to mind by the movie threads started tonight... he and his sister are now living across the street from the former theater (now a church) where I was cursed to see both Grease and Close Encounters of the Worst Kind.  I recognized the building from the adjacent Popeye's Chicken in the pics I saw of him moving in.

(Gay) Rep Richie Torres of the Bronx introduced legislation called 

The SANTOS Act, which stands for Stop Another Non Truthful Office Seeker.

If the bill is passed, it would require candidates to disclose in writing and under oath, their employment, educational and military history.

Torres says he believes candidates should have a legal obligation to tell the truth - something he says Santos has not done about every aspect of his life.

"His family heritage, his educational background, his employment, even his connection to historical events like the Holocaust and the Pulse Club mass shooting," Torres said.

Thoughts/feelings about Santos?

Really?

Yeah Santos lied, but if you wanna find a bigger liar, just look at the current occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue - Sleepy Joe Biden.

just to name o few:

1) Law School Grades 

Biden claimed in 1987 he graduated in the top half of his class at Syracuse College of Law. He was 76th in a class of 85.

2) Arrested in South Africa 

Biden falsely claimed in 2022 he was arrested for trying to see Nelson Mandela in South Africa. The Washington Post marks this claim as false.

3) First Job

In 2021, Biden claimed in Idaho his “first job offer” was from a local lumber and wood products business, Boise Cascade. The company said there is “no record” of Biden’s claim.

4) Visiting a Synagogue 

Biden claimed in 2021 he visited Pittsburgh’s Tree of Life synagogue, where 11 people were murdered in 2018. Biden did speak to the Tree of Life rabbi. He never visited the synagogue, as he claimed.

5) Unemployment Numbers

Biden claimed in 2022 unemployment was the lowest in 50 years, down from 6.5 percent to 3.5 percent. Biden’s claim was false. The unemployment rate was 3.5 percent under his predecessor.
6) Visited Afghanistan 

Biden claimed in 2022 he had visited Afghanistan and Iraq twice as president. The New York Post marked Biden’s claim as false.

7) Naval Academy Appointment 

Biden claimed in 2022 claimed he was appointed to the Naval Academy in 1965 by the late Sen. J. Caleb Boggs (R-DE). A search of Boggs’ records fails to produce evidence to support Biden’s claim.

8 ) Beau Died in Iraq

Biden has falsely claimed twice in 2022 that his late son Beau died in Iraq. Beau died at a Maryland hospital.

9) Never Spoken to Hunter About Family Business

Joe Biden falsely claimed in 2019 that he never discussed business deals with Hunter. But Joe Biden left Hunter a voicemail in 2018 about a business deal with Chinese energy giant CEFC, directly contradicting Joe Biden’s statement in 2019.

“Hey pal, it’s Dad. It’s 8:15 on Wednesday night. If you get a chance just give me a call. Nothing urgent. I just wanted to talk to you,” Joe Biden said. “I thought the article released online, it’s going to be printed tomorrow in the Times, was good. I think you’re clear. And anyway if you get a chance give me a call, I love you.”

10) Visited 54 States

Biden falsely claimed in 2022 he campaigned in all 54 states. There are only 50 states in the union.

11) Passing Student Loan Legislation 

Biden falsely claimed in 2022 he passed “student loan forgiveness.” But no student loan legislation has been passed through Congress.

12) Raised by Puerto Ricans

Biden claimed in 2022 he was “sort of raised in the Puerto Rican community at home, politically.” But Biden told the BBC he is Irish. Media reports suggest Biden is five-eighths Irish, stemming from two Irish families.

13) Gas Prices

Biden falsely claimed the price of gas is “down from over $5 when I took office.” The day before former President Donald Trump left office, the national average price of gas was $2.38.

14) Biden Traveling 17,000 Miles with Chinese President

Biden claimed in 2021 he ‘traveled 17,000 miles with’ Chinese President Xi Jinping. The Washington Post marked Biden’s claims with three Pinocchios.

15) Inflation Is Temporary 

Biden claimed in 2022 that inflation was only temporary. Before his statement, inflation had raged for months. About six months later, inflation is still soaring at 7.1%.

honorable mention:

16. The border is secure.
17. Has visited the border.
18. Swearing to uphold the Oath of Office.
19. Wasn't involved in the Mar-a-Lago raid
20. Iranian deal
21. Corn Pop

It would be much easier for Bozo to list the times that Sleepy Joe Biden was being truthful.

If Joe Biden's lips are moving He's Lying! Not to mention tens of thousands of people all over the world are dying because Biden is POTUS.
Biden has destroyed Trump's economy, Trump's handling of the Border, Trump's complete control of China and Russia....

BoZo

Edited by BOZO T CLOWN

Meanwhile, Brazilian authorities are set to reinstate fraud charges against Santos.  Seems he's a criminal in Brazil.  Santos sounds like a real scum-bucket.  He's prefect for the Trump/MAGA movement.  He and Marjorie Taylor Greene might become besties.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/02/politics/george-santos-brazil-fraud-case/index.html

13 minutes ago, EZEtoGRU said:

Big yawn to the post directly above.

Notwithstanding that it does not address the three legislatively targeted points:

9 hours ago, samhexum said:

their employment, educational and military history.

It is relevant to underscore that exaggeration and bravado are part of the culture in politics.  

Edited by BnaC

8 minutes ago, EZEtoGRU said:

Meanwhile, Brazilian authorities are set to reinstate fraud charges against Santos.  Seems he's a criminal in Brazil.  Santos sounds like a real scum-bucket.  He's prefect for the Trump/MAGA movement.  He and Marjorie Taylor Greene might become besties.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/01/02/politics/george-santos-brazil-fraud-case/index.html

Not accurate.  They want him for questioning.  He’s not convicted.  

4 hours ago, BnaC said:

Not accurate.  They want him for questioning.  He’s not convicted.  

I'm no fan of E2G's, but he said "authorities are ready to reinstate charges." A person would need to be very confused to believe that he meant he was convicted. 

11 hours ago, BnaC said:

...Where was the press - the self proclaimed “guardians of democracy” - through all of this?   

You honestly think it's the public's responsibility for not knowing when a candidate's a liar? Newspapers are shutting down all over the country, and those still around have skeleton staff. Yes, network news will still be around to investigate candidates of national importance, such as US Senate races, and all of Walker's lies. But CNN and other major media outlets can't be expected to investigate every HR candidate. 

People who lie on their job interviews and resumes can expect to be fired if their superiors find out they got their job fraudulently. The same should apply to those in public jobs. I don't see how anyone can condone fraud and lies. 

3 minutes ago, Unicorn said:

You honestly think it's the public's responsibility for not knowing when a candidate's a liar?

No, but history proves time after time that independent oversight mitigates risk.   Media is in meltdown because they’ve lost their way as objective arbiters.  If they were effective AND truthful, I suspect their efforts would be rewarded. 

10 minutes ago, BnaC said:

No, but history proves time after time that independent oversight mitigates risk.   Media is in meltdown because they’ve lost their way as objective arbiters.  If they were effective AND truthful, I suspect their efforts would be rewarded. 

I would certainly be in favor of an independent candidate analyst, whose job it is to vet candidates' truthfulness. Unfortunately, I think we both know that the press is no longer in the position to investigate most candidates' claims. When I went to my step-mother's for Christmas, I was shocked to see the San Francisco Chronicle's news section had only 8 pages! Yes, she's 92 years old and is one of the few people left on the planet to still get a paper newspaper delivered to her house... The few remaining reporters work for the very few remaining newspapers and the network news. I guess online sales of the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and Los Angeles Times will keep them afloat for the near future. Maybe I should write to my state legislators with this suggestion (for an independent candidate analyst office--obviously this would require lots of staff). 

Edited by Unicorn

17 minutes ago, BnaC said:

The North Shore Leader, a local paper in Santos' district, exposed many of his lies well before the election, but as long as so many people get their "news" from Twitter or MetaFace, real journalism doesn't stand a chance.

https://www.longisland.com/news/12-30-22/george-santos-story-broke-by-local-li-newspaper-months-ago.html

1 hour ago, pitman said:

The North Shore Leader, a local paper in Santos' district, exposed many of his lies well before the election, but as long as so many people get their "news" from Twitter or MetaFace, real journalism doesn't stand a chance.

https://www.longisland.com/news/12-30-22/george-santos-story-broke-by-local-li-newspaper-months-ago.html

That’s good info.  So, the media did their job and the electorate didn’t care.  Ok, it’s not the job of government to supersede the will of the people.  He was vetted.  The truth was available to any who wanted to know.  The people have spoken.      I’m wondering if the democratic candidate was so bad that no one cared?   Either way, the people have spoken.  He won 54/46.  Let’s face it, disclosure process was designed to keep candidates from hiding wealth (and it doesn’t do a good job of that)…not fabricating it.  Caveat Emptor. 

Edited by BnaC

In order to post in the Political Issues forum, all members are required to acknowledge that their post is in compliance with our Community Guidelines.  In addition, you acknowledge that it meets the following requirements: 

• No personal attacks: Attack the issue not the person
  • No hijacking: Stay on the subject of the thread 

• No bullying, hate speech or offensive terms/expressions

In addition, if the moderators feel someone is reporting content simply because if it’s political stance (such as but not limited to reporting it as off topic but not other off topic replies by those that agree with your stance), the reporting person may receive a warning as well.

Content that does not comply with the above requirements will be removed.  Multiple violations may result in a loss of access to this forum.