Colorado Gay club shooting

augustus

5 people killed.  18 people injured at Club Q, a gay nightclub in Colorado Springs.  What a nightmare for our community.  We don’t yet know the motive of the gunman but apparently patrons subdued the active shooter.  Club Q has called this a “hate attack”.  

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2022/11/20/us/colorado-springs-shooting-gay-nightclub/index.html

26 minutes ago, Lucky said:

It's past high time that the GOP supported gun control. Shootings are now an epidemic in the USA.

It is way, way past high time, but with the gun manufacturers and NRA continuing to be mega cash cows for political campaigns, and the gun-crazed enthusiasts in Congress, I fear it's going to get a lot darker before the dawn.

4 hours ago, Lucky said:

Its past high time that the GOP supported gun control.

When I was a kid, everybody in my town had guns and nobody shot anybody.

What changed is that mentally ill people who used to be locked up are now running around in public because"they have rights too".

THAT one is on the Democrats .

Good luck gathering up a few trillion weapons. Ain't happening.

Edited by pubic_assistance

1 hour ago, pubic_assistance said:

What changed is that mentally ill people who used to be locked up are now running around in public bbecause"they have rights too".

No, at least in California that one is on Ronald Reagan, who, as governor, opened up the asylums and freed the insane.

7 hours ago, Lucky said:

No, at least in California that one is on Ronald Reagan, who, as governor, opened up the asylums and freed the insane.

I've heard this criticism multiple times and it's inaccurate.

The ACLU sued the Federal Government in a landmark case. It was concluded that you can't "imprison" someone for mental illness.

This was immediately declared a bad idea by people who were surrounded by seriously ill people who were a threat . Republican districts responded by arresting them for minor offences and extending their jail sentence mainly because they couldn't survive on the outside. At least they had a place to live and food to eat.

In recent years social-justice Democrats have argued again for the rights of mentally ill and drug addicted individuals to roam freely and be released from jail.

Since their release, crimes commitmed by drug addicts and mentally ill have skyrocketed. But typical to Lefties...their moral high ground is more important than the fact that their policy is negatively impacting mainstream society.

I grew up in a redneck state where they hated gays. Nobody went into a gay bar and shot everyone because no matter how bigoted they were you just didn't do that.  When you're nuts, you don't have this kind of filter in your head.

4 hours ago, Stormy said:

We don’t yet know the motive of the gunman

Mentally ill people don't NEED a motive.

The guy held his mother prisoner in June and threatened to blow her up. He should have been in a mental institution after THAT incident...but instead leftie kumbaya mentality gave him a second chance....

So here we are.

This is what you get when you think you can just rehabilitate seriously crazy people in the general public.

30 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

Mentally ill people don't NEED a motive.

The guy held his mother prisoner in June and threatened to blow her up. He should have been in a mental institution after THAT incident...but instead leftie kumbaya mentality gave him a second chance....

So here we are.

This is what you get when you think you can just rehabilitate seriously crazy people in the general public.

This thread is not about mental illness.  The gay community in Colorado Springs is devastated. Meanwhile you are spouting right wing talking points when someone points to the accessibility of guns as a major problem.  

most right wing people offer thoughts and prayers before going off on a tangent.  Did you not receive the memo about that? 

5 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

I've heard this criticism multiple times and it's inaccurate.

The ACLU sued the Federal Government in a landmark case. It was concluded that you can't "imprison" someone for mental illness.

Absolutely correct.  They believed the mentally ill could be managed with their medications.  40,000 people are in mental institutions today as opposed to 500,000 in the 1950's and the US population has doubled since then (although they did put wierdos away too then).

12 hours ago, Lucky said:

It's past high time that the GOP supported gun control. Shootings are now an epidemic in the USA.

And we should start calling it the More Murder Republican Party.

The new House Speaker governs the Murder Capitol of California.  The More Murder Republicans whine about liberal prosecutors in San Francisco.  But the murder rate in SF is half what it is in Bakersfield.  The fact that liberal cities spend more on cops and have more gun control has a lot to do with it.

The Republicans are not shy about making Democrats like me sound like murderous freaks who tolerate murder and crime.  It's not as big or bad a lie as saying Trump won in 2020.  But it's another big lie.  We have to keep repeating 100,000 times that Mr. Fact Ron Brownstein keeps citing studies that while a murder spree definitely happened in 2020 under Trump, when we had a massive gun buying spree, murder rates actually have increased less in cities with progressive prosecutors.

The blood red Republican Party needs to be confronted relentlessly and with facts about how they have their heads buried in the blood of their constituents.  In Bakersfield, that means Latina teens killed at birthday parties. In More Crime Kristi's South Dakota, it means a husband kills his wife with his gun, then kills all his kids, and then himself as he burns the house down to hide it.  In Colorado, it's a murder spree at a Gay club.  The blood red More Murder Republican Party needs to stop burying their head in the blood of dead Americans who died preventable deaths.  And listen to what the overwhelming majority of Americans are saying on gun control.

spacer.png

4 hours ago, augustus said:

Maybe cars should be banned. They are a threat to the gay community too!

Auggie's argument about cars is cruel and sick.  At what point do blood red More Murder Republicans actually want to stop the slaughter?  Including the slaughter of Gays? 

We don't ban cars, and we won't ban guns.  We do regulate them.  And regulating cars to make them safer saves lots of lives every year.   The MAGA folks who buy all kinds of bat shit crazy lies don't care, of course, because they have proven again and again that they don't give a shit about facts.  Thankfully, the new 4 vote or so Republican majority includes many members from districts that voted for Biden.  They barely just won in 2022.  Their constituents won't be happy if they continue to oppose laws that are overwhelmingly favored in places like Orange County.  And that save many lives.

Edited by stevenkesslar

4 hours ago, Stormy said:

most right wing people offer thoughts and prayers before going off on a tangent.  Did you not receive the memo about that? 

Considering I am not "right wing"...no . They didn't send me a memo.

I am also not religious so I don't offer thoughts and prayers when discussing death.

I'm a realist. And this is about a mentally ill person being ignored after an initial outbreak who was allowed to have another episode and this time actually kill a bunch of people.

The fellow didn't have any machine guns and he didn't have any weapons of mass destruction. He had the sort of normal weapons that most people have in the United States. But most people who aren't mentally ill don't go around shooting other people. The last several episodes of this kind of incident were with people who had shown all the warning signs of mentally illness before they committed the attrocity of mass murder.

10 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

What changed is that mentally ill people who used to be locked up are now running around in public because"they have rights too".

Any blame on the Reagan administration for dismantling community health centers in the 1980s? 

18 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

Considering I am not "right wing"...no . They didn't send me a memo.

I am also not religious so I don't offer thoughts and prayers when discussing death.

I'm a realist. And this is about a mentally ill person being ignored after an initial outbreak who was allowed to have another episode and this time actually kill a bunch of people.

The fellow didn't have any machine guns and he didn't have any weapons of mass destruction. He had the sort of normal weapons that most people have in the United States. But most people who aren't mentally ill don't go around shooting other people. The last several episodes of this kind of incident were with people who had shown all the warning signs of mentally illness before they committed the attrocity of mass murder.

Unfortunately a very difficult problem.

Wouldn't you say almost by defintion that anyone (who has grown up in this country) that goes out of their way to plan and execute mass murder of innocent people they don't know falls somewhere on a metally ill spectrum?

Yet statistically the vast vast majority of people who suffer from mental illness don't plan and execute mass murder.

And we don't know the motive yet for this most recent event (and i wholeheartedly don't want to rush to any judgements prematurely), but it does seem puzzling that many of these occurrences historically, that when they do occur (in whatever their mental ill state of mind is or way), that they end up not acting out randomly or illogically, such that they have random shooting spree targets.

Edited by GTMike
Grammar correction

16 hours ago, GTMike said:

statistically the vast vast majority of people who suffer from mental illness don't plan and execute mass murder

Yeah...it doesn't work both ways.

You're crazy if your mom has to call the police because you're threatening to blow her up but you're not crazy if you don't threaten to blow up your mom ? No..it's not a reversible concept.

Clearly this one was leaning heavy into the crazy when he held his mother prisoner. Something should have been done with him in June 2021 but it wasn't.

date line correction

51 minutes ago, KeepItReal said:

The Guardian reported the shooter is the grandson of MAGA supporter Randy Voepel. And no one is surprised. Will anyone be surprised if it turns out he wore body armor and carried an AR15? 😐

Randy Voegel is not only a mega Trump supporter but supports the insurrection against the United States as we witnessed on January 6.  Voegel thinks the Republican Party is too liberal.  Looks like the basket of deplorables runs in the family 

1 hour ago, KeepItReal said:

The Guardian reported the shooter is the grandson of MAGA supporter Randy Voepel. And no one is surprised. Will anyone be surprised if it turns out he wore body armor and carried an AR15? 😐

The difference in death between the two shootings at two LGBTQ clubs may actually help us understand the precise difference in the numbers of Gay brains, hearts, kidneys, lungs, or other body organs you can quickly turn into mush because you are a hater with a gun.

Whatever the precise number is, it is different than what you can do with a knife.  Or even a car, if you drive it into a protest in Charlottesville (one person died).

spacer.png

spacer.png

The Orlando Killer's Weapon Of Choice Was 'The Ultimate Hunting Rifle'

We now know that a Sig Sauer MCX is the ultimate weapon of choice to hunt and kill deer.  Or Gay men.   If you want to kill Gay men in a Gay club, you can kill them more effectively with a Sig Sauer MCX than with a Mercedes Benz, even!  Who could have possibly guessed?

Police: Suspect, 22, used 'long rifle' and immediately began shooting when he entered gay nightclub in Colorado Springs

It will be interesting to see what kind of "long rifle" our Gay hater in Colorado chose.  We know he took out about 90 % fewer people.  Colorado Springs was just another weekly run of the mill American mass murder.  And, for reasons we don't know yet, it was possible to stop him without dying.  I'm guessing it may not have been a Sig Sauer MCX.  Which is proven to be incredibly effective in slaughtering Gay men like turkeys as they run toward, or away, from you.

Edited by stevenkesslar

58 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

Yeah...it doesn't work both ways.

You're crazy if your mom has to call the police because you're threatening to blow her up but you're not crazy if you don't threaten to blow up your mom ? No..it's not a reversible concept.

Clearly this one was leaning heavy into the crazy when he held his mother prisoner. Something should have been done with him in June but it wasn't.

If it indeed the same person with the same name and same birthday (which so far was confirmed), that was in June 2021 not this past June. And also if same person he surrendered after a couple hour stand-off with Police and no bomb making material or bombs were present when the Police searched the premises. Apparently he also later called the local news outlets to remove past arrest information from public circulation as those charges weren't ultimately filed.

Horrible for sure but not sure there's enough of a nexus to go from that domestic related incident, to either being locked up in mental institution or subsequent deliberate mass murder of strangers 18 months later.

In order to post in the Political Issues forum, all members are required to acknowledge that their post is in compliance with our Community Guidelines.  In addition, you acknowledge that it meets the following requirements: 

• No personal attacks: Attack the issue not the person
  • No hijacking: Stay on the subject of the thread 

• No bullying, hate speech or offensive terms/expressions

In addition, if the moderators feel someone is reporting content simply because if it’s political stance (such as but not limited to reporting it as off topic but not other off topic replies by those that agree with your stance), the reporting person may receive a warning as well.

Content that does not comply with the above requirements will be removed.  Multiple violations may result in a loss of access to this forum.