Thailand has had its own Sandy Hook

Ex-cop kills 35 people, including 24 sleeping kids, at Thailand daycare center

https://nypost.com/2022/10/06/thailand-mass-shooting-kills-34-at-daycare-centre/

A deranged former police officer slaughtered at least 35 people, including 24 sleeping children and a pregnant woman, in an unthinkable rampage at a Thailand nursery Thursday — before driving home and killing his wife and own child and taking his own life, officials said.

Panya Kamrab, 34, who was canned from the police last year for drug use, flew into a rage when he arrived at the childcare center in the town of Nongbua Lamph and realized his kid was not there, according to the BBC, citing local officials.

The attacker, who was armed with a shotgun, pistol and knife, had attended a court hearing on a drug charge before going on the bloody rampage, a police spokesperson told reporters.

About 30 children were at the facility when the gunman arrived, fewer than usual due to heavy rain that kept many people away.  Thank God for small favors, I guess.

After he fled, Kamrab continued to shoot from his car, hitting several people, according to police Maj. Gen. Paisal Luesomboon.

He also ran his vehicle into a crowd of bystanders, before returning home and killing his wife and child.

He then took his own life, the official said.

Eyewitness Paweena Purichan, 31, told Agence France-Presse that she had encountered the gunman driving erratically after the attack.

“He intended to crash into others on the road,” she told the news service. “The attacker rammed a motorbike and two people were injured. I sped off to get away from him.”

She added that the gunman was well known in the community as a drug addict.

Mass killings seem to be up globally... I know drugs and probably mental illness were to blame here, but I think the growing ordinariness that mass killings have become must have something to do with both the amount of people who would even consider this sort of thing, and the amount that would actually do it.

On 10/6/2022 at 1:07 PM, samhexum said:

Mass killings seem to be up globally... I know drugs and probably mental illness were to blame here, but I think the growing ordinariness that mass killings have become must have something to do with both the amount of people who would even consider this sort of thing, and the amount that would actually do it.

The increases in mass murder have paralleled the growing movement to respect the rights of mentally ill drug addicts.

So, no surprises here.

When we institutionalized mentally ill people, you didn't have these problems.

Edited by pubic_assistance
spelling

3 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

The increase in mass murder have paralleled the growing movement to respect the rights of mentally ill drug addicts.

So, no surprises here.

When we institutionalized mentally ill people, you didn't have these problems.

Exactly!!  In the 1950's there were 500,000 people in mental institutions when the population of the US was nearly half what it is now.  Today there are about 40,000 in mental institutions.  Granted they used to put away weirdos, but today raving lunatics are all over the place.  This modern idea of "treating" the mental ill with drugs doesn't work, especially when they don't take them. NYC has become a zoo.  

45 minutes ago, Lucky said:

Wasn't Ronald Reagan the first to open the asylum doors as Governor of California?

Reagan was president by the time they "opened the asylum doors", in response to the Supreme Court decision declaring it unconstitutional to "imprison" anyone unless they committed a crime.   Reagan WAS, as Governor of CA, responsible for drastically reducing the standards for what qualified someone for full time residency in a mental institution as a draw-down on the State budget. As President Reagan ( in true Libertarian form ) over-saw a decision to leave the responsibility to the States. Over-turning a more robust and compassionate Carter Administration Policy ( Carter being a true Christian... felt these people deserved more ). Reagan felt they deserved less.  The argument over the role of Federal Government in providing "charity and community" continues to this day. But whether Republican or Democrat, the budget still leaves too many on the streets, and neither has the decency to admit that we need a more pro-active system to care for these people. ( And protect the rest of us from the fall-out when they ultimately loose it and act-out their mania. )

9 hours ago, pubic_assistance said:

But whether Republican or Democrat, the budget still leaves too many on the streets, and neither has the decency to admit that we need a more pro-active system to care for these people. ( And protect the rest of us from the fall-out when they ultimately loose it and act-out their mania. )

California's progressive legislature recently passed a CARE program that would allow a court to mandate treatment for some mentally ill folks and some chronic substance abusers, and Governor Newsom signed it.

I've never been comfortable with the idea of mandatory treatment but a recent news item featured an older woman who had to move six times in the last decade when her homeless mentally ill son gets off his meds and comes looking to do her harm.  I couldn't think of anything to counter her belief that he should be taken off the streets and sent into treatment.

I'm still not very comfortable with locking folks up as part of a treatment plan but, until I can think of something better, I'm going to follow along and see if we can at least learn some new ways of dealing with the mentally ill.

With eight billion people in the world, and the destabilizing effects of some social media, I think we need to update our approach to mental illness.

Not sure just how, but somethin' tells me we'll discover that an ounce of prevention will once again prove to be worth a pound of cure.

In order to post in the Political Issues forum, all members are required to acknowledge that their post is in compliance with our Community Guidelines.  In addition, you acknowledge that it meets the following requirements: 

• No personal attacks: Attack the issue not the person
  • No hijacking: Stay on the subject of the thread 

• No bullying, hate speech or offensive terms/expressions

In addition, if the moderators feel someone is reporting content simply because if it’s political stance (such as but not limited to reporting it as off topic but not other off topic replies by those that agree with your stance), the reporting person may receive a warning as well.

Content that does not comply with the above requirements will be removed.  Multiple violations may result in a loss of access to this forum.