Santorini? Mykonos? Or Mainland Greece…

MikeBiDude

I posted previously that I’m traveling to Greece in September.

3 days in Athens, then a week with friends on a charter sailboat, then a week on my own. So the topic question…where should I head for the week on my own. Mykonos vs. Santorini are my two main choices. I could head back to the mainland and go wherever?

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Santorini is much more beautiful.  Mykonos is pretty, but it's basically drinking and hot guys.  Also, beach.  I will be the first to admit that the beaches in Santorini are underwhelming.  I'm not a beach person, I'm a water person.  To me the beach is what's b/w the parking lot and the water, additionally, I understand that "the beach" is very important to some ppl's "island vacation".

If you stay in Santorini, spend the extra, unfortunately much extra, money to stay somewhere over the caldera.  I think the name of the area is Io (??), something like that.

Also, as I think I recommended before, if you can find the time to spend a couple nights on Folegendros, you'll be richly rewarded with a great experience.  I think the ferry ride from Santorini is less than 2 hours.  One of many things I like there is that the beaches are accessible by boat, which is always fun, taking a boat to get to a private beach :-)  Have fun!

Edited by Rod Hagen

2 minutes ago, Rod Hagen said:

Santorini is much more beautiful.  Mykonos is pretty, but it's basically drinking and hot guys.  Also, beach.  I will be the first to admit that the beaches in Santorini are underwhelming. 

If you stay in Santorini, spend the extra, unfortunately much extra, money to stay somewhere over the caldera.  I think the name of the area is Io (??), something like that.

Also, as I think I recommended before, if you can find the time to spend a couple nights on Folegendros, you'll be richly rewarded with a great experience.  I think the ferry ride from Santorini is less than 2 hours.  Have fun!

Yes you did mention Folegendros and it’s on my short list. I’m also leaning toward Santorini…the party/drinking that I hear Mykonos has turned into is not my crowd. 

1 hour ago, MikeBiDude said:

I posted previously that I’m traveling to Greece in September.

3 days in Athens, then a week with friends on a charter sailboat, then a week on my own. So the topic question…where should I head for the week on my own. Mykonos vs. Santorini are my two main choices. I could head back to the mainland and go wherever?

Any suggestions or thoughts?

200.gif

it's on my list! 

Somehow I've never been there!

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/26/2022 at 1:41 PM, MikeBiDude said:

Sailing the Greek Coast/Islands was very high on my “bucket list”. When a friend called looking for a guest to fill in on a cancellation I jumped at it. The extra week after is just me alone…will see what I decide!

What did you decide @MikeBiDude?

11 minutes ago, Lucky said:

What did you decide @MikeBiDude?

Well, couple days in Athens alone. Then took a ferry to Milos, where I met a group of friends on a largish catamaran for 8 days of cruising around the Lower Cyclades islands. Great fun.

Off the catamaran, and then a ferry to Santorini..and a beautiful Airbnb villa with spectacular views for 3 days. A friend flew in and meet me in Santorini. Then back to Athens for touristy stuff with my friend, then home. Returned home with (a mild case) Covid 😖

Was a great trip, crossed sailing in the Greek Islands off my bucket list…but I’d do it again.